Chapter 10

Sam runs his fingers against my bare stomach, gentle circles around my belly button. His fingers across my skin make me feel safe, protected even.

I take a deep breath. I wrap an arm around his back and pull him closer. He doesn't hesitate as he moves even closer. The heat of his body radiating against mine.

I pull my tank top down as I fit my head into the crook of his neck, my fingernails brushing lightly against his bare chest. The mattress springs bounce as he pulls me to him.

I don't want to let go. I like this. I love this. He smiles at me and I smile back. Trouble free. Carefree. At least for now.

"Can we pause this?" I whisper into his neck.

"Let's just stay in bed," he whispers back.

I take in his musky, woody smell. His natural scent. When I smell this I close my eyes. I feel at peace.

Sam brushes a few strands of hair away from my face as he tucks it behind my hair. "You're gorgeous," he says.

I smile, my eyes still closed. I feel a soft kiss on my forehead forcing my eyes open.

I pull the blanket off me and throw it down to my legs. "We should get out of bed. It's midday."

Sam turns to face the clock and then turns back to me. He gives my hip a squeeze before getting out of bed and helping me with the bedsheets.

When we get ready and head downstairs, Daniel is waiting for Sam. He winks at me before pulling Sam over to the side.

I can tell whatever he's saying isn't good because Sam frowns and tells him to deal with it but that's about all I get.

Daniel hugs me and kisses my cheek. "How are you feeling today?"

I smile because I actually feel good. I know that a lot has happened recently but for the first time in a while I feel good. It seems like everything is turning good. Finally.

"Fantastic," I say truthfully.

"I'm glad," he replies.

I grab his hand and pull him to the side as Sam takes a seat at the table to have breakfast.

Daniel lifts an eyebrow. "Everything okay?"

"What are you and Sam hiding from me?"

Daniel frowns. "Nothing, it's just we got Jess."

I try to hide the shock from my face. "Now what?"

"Sam wants her jailed."

I cringe. I hate her. I do. I really do, but she was still his friend. "So what's going to happen?"

"Rick got fingerprints of the blood sample tube and it has her fingerprints. Further that, Sam wants to also create a case that she tried to harm you several times including the baby."

"He can really do that to his friend?" I ask.

Daniel squeezes my hand. "He'd do everything for you. Sometimes you just don't realise how much he loves you."

That puts a smile on my face.

We both head back to join Sam and have breakfast. Sam passes me my medication and I pour a cup of water so I can down the medicine.

When I bring the capsule to my mouth, I pause. This red one. I place it back down on the side of my plate.

Please let me be wrong. The first time I coughed blood was right after Rick gave me this medication and every single time after has been right after me taking this capsule.

I slide the plate to Sam.

He watches me. "Everything okay, babe?"

"This capsule," I say. "I think it's what's making me cough up blood."

Sam and Daniel look back and forth at each other and then at me. Sam grabs it but Daniel stops him, forcing him to put it back on the plate.

"Let me," Daniel says.

Sam shakes his head. "No way."

"Violet isn't exactly well, it's best if you're okay to take care of her."

I frown. "No one should take it. I could be wrong but it seems like every time I've taken this red capsule, I've coughed up blood."

Daniel immediately grabs it off the plate before Sam can protests and swallows it.

My mouth drops open. He's crazy.

Nothing happens. So we wait.

Five minutes pass.

Daniel grabs a pancake and as he drizzles maple syrup, he grasps his throat. It less than five seconds, the pancakes are covered in blood as well as his plate and the front of his shirt.

I immediately grab some water and pass it to him as Rick runs out to see what the commotion is. Rick tilts Daniel's head forward forcing him to cough up the rest of the blood before tilting his head upright.

Sam drags Daniel to the bathroom while the butler cleans the floor and table. I mouth the words "I'm sorry," to him because lately he's done more than his fair share.

"It's okay, madam. It's my duty."

When Daniel steps back, his black shirt has been swapped for a dark green one that I recognise to be Sam's.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Fine," he says. "Rick says I'm okay. He's just doing a test on the medication. Chances are Jess has messed with them too."

I frown. She won't stop but at least everything is sorted now. I just feel bad that Daniel went through that because of me.

Daniel goes upstairs to rest.

"We're going to New Zealand," Sam says.

I tilt my head. "What?"

He pulls me closer and wraps his hand around me. "I need a holiday with my wife. It'll be a short one but we'll get a room in a hotel and just enjoy the time. A swim in the pool. A nice view. Lots of room service. Just you and me."

I smile. "I'd like that."

He kisses me on the lips gently and as I respond back, he increases the intensity. His hand crawls up my back and my hands reach under his shirt.

"Careful babe," he whispers into my ear. "We have an audience."

I freeze. When I turn back Rose is standing there with her eyes closed. "Is it clear? Can I look now?"

Shit! I stare down at my feet.

Sam leans in. "It's cute when you blush."