Chapter 6

My body shakes uncontrollably. Rick wraps his arm around me. "Steady, Violet!"

Tears run down my face. I try to stay calm but my body doesn't stop shivering. I cry, the tears feeling warm against my skin.

I slam my hand against the side table. "I can't do this," I cry.

Rick holds onto me tight. "You have to tell Sam," he says calmly. "You can't hide it."

I feel sick. My stomach in knots. I squeeze the bed sheets hard. So hard, I'm sure I'm drawing blood.

"He'll die if he knows!" I scream. "We can't tell him."

I slam a pillow against my face and cry into it. The shaking of my body still not stopping.

"I'm sorry, Violet," Rick says as he pulls an injection out from the draw.

I shake my head. "Don't."

"It'll help with the shaking."

I pull away, pushing Rick when he comes close.

He lifts his hand in the air. "Okay, okay. I won't do it."

I rub my stomach and cry. I can't tell Sam. I just can't.

"The baby," I cry.

Rick hugs me. "I know, I know."

I wipe the tears that flood my face nonstop. I have to pretend I'm okay. I have to pretend everything is fine.

Rick squeezes my hand. "You can't lie to him, he'll know eventually," he says. "You have to be honest," he says as his voice cracks.

It's the first time I've seen Rick emotional. I try to control the tears from all the pain. "Please," I beg him. "Please don't tell him."

"You can't have him living a lie, Violet."

I fumble with the sheets. "Don't call him in. I won't be able to tell him the truth."

Rick nods. "Take your time."

I take a deep breath as the shaking reduces. "Please tell me you're lying, Rick."

"I'm sorry, Violet. I wish I was," he says. "More than anything, I wish I was."

I wipe the single tear that slides down my cheek. I breath in and then out. "Just give me time Rick. I will tell him but not now."

Rick nods. "That's the least I can do."

Rick opens the door and calls Sam. When Sam walks through the door, his face red, I know he's been crying.

He's immediately by my side gently pulling me into a hug. "Thank god you're okay," he says.

My shoulder feels wet as Sam cries. I don't see him like this often.

Sam turns to Rick. "The baby?" He asks.

Rick faces me. "The baby is okay," I say.

"You sure you're okay?" He asks.

"I'm fine, everything is fine."

He touches the bandage wrapped around my forehead from when I hit the ground. Sam kisses my cheek. "Thank god. I was worried. I thought I lost you and the baby."

I swallow at the mention of his last comment. "You haven't lost any of us."

Rick stares at me but doesn't say a thing. I make a pleading face expecting him not to say anything.

"I need to get out of here though," I say.

A small smile crawls on his face. "Of course, can you walk?"