Chapter 3

Sam calls the butler over to fix the guest bedroom for Jess.

"She's staying over?" I ask.

"Of course, where else is she supposed to go?"

I shake my head. "Nowhere, just asking."

Daniel eyes me carefully. I nod to reassure him.

Was I just dreaming that she insulted me? Or did she really? I'm usually bad at stuff like this. What if it wasn't an insult?

Sam wraps his arms around me from behind and hugs me. "You look gorgeous today."

I smile. "Just today?"

He smirks. "No, everyday but today you look extra gorgeous."

He kisses my neck before he walks off. Jess stares at me from the hallway. I ignore her and walk away but she runs up to me and walks beside me.

"Sam told me how you guys met," she says. "Pretty interesting if you ask me."

"Oh yea?"

"Yea, I think it's cute but you got to admit it's not as cute as how Sam and I met."

I lift an eyebrow. "Is that so, how did you guys meet?"

"Our parents used to be friends. They'd drop us off at childcare. In the sandpit other kids used to pick on me by throwing sand. Sam to the rescue. We were only four then."

I don't want to be rude but I say it anyways. "You guys were only four. That's a thing of the past. The thing is, Sam and I don't want cute, we want amazing and what we have is amazing," I say as I walk away.

I can sense her stopping so I take a quick look back to notice she looks angry. That must mean what she said before was meant in a bad way. Why is she angry though?

When Sam comes back, she throws her arms around Sam and kisses his cheek. I don't like it one bit. I can't tell if she's doing it purposely.

"That didn't look good?" Daniel says as he walks beside me.

"What?" I say as I turn my focus away from Sam and Jess.

"Your conversation with Jess."

"I think she hates me."

Daniel looks at Jess and Sam. "Why'd you think that?"

"She keeps saying weird things and making inappropriate comments."

When Daniel looks back at for an explanation I explain the story to him.

"Look Violet, I love Jess, we all do. She's almost been like a part of this family but I care for you more, after all you're my sister-in-law. So if you say that then clearly I'll trust you over her any day," he says. "Let me see what she's up to."

I nod as I hug him. "Thanks Daniel."

He grabs my hand and pulls me upstairs. "I got a plan," he says as he whispers everything to me. I nod because I don't have any better idea.

I walk into the extra bedroom, the one Daniel and Sophia are staying at and hide in the ensuite bathroom as Daniel calls Jess.

I place my ear against the door when I hear footsteps.

"What's up?" Jess says.

I peak through the tiny slit of which the door is open and notice Daniel hugging her.

"I've missed you," he says.

"Of course Dan Dan, I've missed you too."

"Can I be honest with you?"

"Yes of course, always," she says. "You know that."

He grabs her hands and pulls he down to sit on the bed. "I don't like Violet. She's the wrong choice for Sam."

Jess coughs. "What? Why would you say that?"

"I don't think she loves him."

"Hmm. I sense that too," Jess says. "Almost like she's with him because of his money and he's my childhood friend, I can't see him hurt."

"I need her out of his life and I need your help."

"Of course, anything."

"But before that," he says. "Be honest with me. Do you like him?"

Jess looks down at her clothes. I lean against the door further to hear her response when I slam against the door. I quickly pull myself back and hide around the corner. Shit! I hope they didn't see me.

"Violet, now is not the time to be clumsy," I whisper to myself.

"I do, I have for years. Even back in high school," Jess replies.

"Then it's final. Let's get her out of the picture."

I hear footsteps as if someone is leaving and then a door slams shut. I wait until the doorknob for the bathroom swings open and Daniel pulls me out.

"You were right, that evil bitch wants to separate you guys." He pulls me into a hug. "I swear to god, I'll never let anything happen to you guys. I won't let anyone step in the way of your relationship."

I smile as I pat his back. "Thanks Daniel. You're the best."

He whispers the next part of the plan into my ear as I leave the room. I smile. Soon Sam will see the truth. Will see what Jess really is like.

I feel like I should just go up to him and tell him but part of me wants to show him the real Jess, he deserves that much.

So I walk over to the living room as Jess loads a dvd. Two minutes later, Daniel comes by and takes a seat on the couch with Sophia.

I sit next to Sam, purposely wrapping my legs around him. The jealously in Jess' eye is clear like she's the one who wants to wrap her arms around him. I lean in and kiss Sam. He smiles back at me.