Chapter 27

Max holds his breath, besides him Bianca looks sick.

"It's okay," I say quietly.

Max nods. "I know but somehow I convince my heart that," he says. "I mean it's been over two years."

"You're their son. There's nothing to worry about," I tell him.

The knock on the door draws our attention.

Sam had gone to pick up his parents from the airport with Daniel. They got on a plane immediately when they heard about Max. They couldn't believe it and as Sam had described, they were incredibly mad because they thought Sam and Daniel was playing a prank on them.

How they've handled the fake death of their son is beyond me but knowing that the Max they thought died was also their son and that their other son had never died to begin with must be devastating. I know they won't admit it but they're also hurting for Arnold and feeling guilty that they didn't try to get to the bottom of it.

They're mad at Daniel and Sam though. Sam had called me at the airport saying they were barely talking to him because he should've told them earlier. Who keeps something like this away from their parents?

I stand by the door. "Are you ready?"

Bianca takes a step back but Max pulls her forward by the hand so that they're standing side by side. "Yes."

I open the door to see Sam's father stand by the door. The second he sees Max, he bursts through and hugs his son. Clare on the other hand stays frozen by the door. She has her hands over her mouth in shock as tears run down her face.

I watch Bianca who tries to pull back as Paul hugs his son, Max. She tries to free her finger but Max doesn't let her hand go.

I frown. Why on earth is she acting like this? My body freezes. I've been through my fair share, if anything I should understand and trust me I do but I never ran away after those big situations. Those situations are what made me realise my love for Sam.

Bianca's hiding something and I need to know because whatever she's worried about, it's eating her from the inside.

Rose tucks at the side of her mum's shirt as she watches Max from the corner.

Sam places a hand on her back. "It's really him," he says pushing her toward.

Rose blinks trying to get the tears away from her eyes.

Paul holds Max face. "I can't believe it's you, son. You just don't know how much we've pained missing you," he says. "I'm just so glad you're okay."

Rose watches for a few more seconds before running up to him. It doesn't take Max a second as he wraps his arms around her and pulls her into a hug.

"Look at you," Max says. "You're a big girl now."

Rose smiles trying to hide how much she's hurting. "And you're still the same."

Max laughs. "That's true. I haven't aged a day."

Rose looks down at her shoes. I can tell she notices the bags under his eyes and how much this situation has taken a toll on him and his body but she doesn't say a word.

"You're not going to hug me, mum?" Max asks.

Clare shakes her head.

Max walks up to her and grabs her hand. Bianca hesitates as he pulls her forward but she walks beside him.

"You really aren't going to hug me?"

"Two years," Clare cries. "Over two years I haven't seen you. I cannot even come to explaining how much I've died inside."

Max wipes her tears and pulls her in a hug. He lets go of Bianca's hand for a second and she takes a step back. I half expect her to run but she doesn't.

It's not until I notice Sam walk over to her and place a hand on her back to realise she was attempting to walk away.

"You...see...we...believe....there...forever," Sam whispers to her. I can't pick up what he whispers but I get a few words.

Bianca shakes her head at him and tries to turn but Sam pushes her forward to back to Max who is crying seeing his mum.

Max turns to see Bianca beside him and grabs her hand. "There's something I need to tell you."

Everyone stares at Max. We all know what he's going to say and by the looks of it, Bianca doesn't seem too happy.

"I love Bianca."

Clare and Paul stare at each other then back at Max and Bianca. "As in Violet's friend, Bianca?" Clare asks.

Max nods. "Yep."

Paul nods. "That's a lot to take in, in one day."

Max nods. "I know."

I watch Bianca. She's acting strange. That's when I notice the back of her white t-shirt is stained red. It's blood.

I take my cardigan off and walk over to her. "You don't need to shiver, put this one," I say.

She watches me. "Just put it on and follow me," I whisper as I lean forward.

I smile at everyone. "I'm gonna go lend Bianca a jacket upstairs, follow."

Everyone nods as Rose drags Max into the living room.

Bianca follows me upstairs and into Sam and I's bedroom.

"Why are you bleeding? I thought things were fine and Rick took care of you," I ask.

She shakes her head. "What?"

"Don't act naive, Bianca."

She takes a deep breath. "I pulled at my stitches."

I shiver. "Why would you do that?"

She shakes her head. "I don't know."

I hold her hand as I sit next to her on the bed. "What aren't you telling me? Because I know you're hiding something."

She looks at the ground. I know whatever she says next is a lie. "I'm hiding nothing."

I stand up in frustration and grab the first aid kit from the bedside table. "Turn around."

"I'm fine," she says.

"Bianca, whatever it is, you know you can tell me," I say.

She nods.

"So then tell me."

"There's nothing to tell," she says.

I grab the white cloth as I attempt to wipe at her wound. She's undone the stitches before letting them heal.