Chapter 28

I wake up in the middle of the night, my heart pounding as if something is terribly wrong. My clothes are soaked in sweat and my breathing is fast.

I look over to notice Sam is fast asleep. Thank god I didn't wake him up.

I grab shorts and a  tank top from my wardrobe and sneak out of the room into the bathroom downstairs in hopes that I don't wake Sam up.

I shake my head. Must've been a nightmare but I don't remember exactly what it was. I just woke up in fear.

I change my clothes throwing the other pair in a basket as I head out. My tank top is a little too small for my pregnant self because when I stretch, the bottom of my stomach reveals itself. I stop in my steps when I think I hear what is close to silent sobs. It's so quiet that I almost don't hear it.

My head turns towards the kitchen. That's where the noise is coming from and the light shining from the small slit of the open door tells me someone's in there.

I rub my eyes and pound my hand against my heart to call myself down.

When I get to the door, I peak through the crack to notice Bianca. She looks like a complete mess. The bags under her eyes are so dark, it's as if she's been crying the whole night. Her hair is in knots and she looks distressed.

It's not until I hear the sound of steel or metal hitting against something, that I notice the knife in her hand. My heart beats faster when she raises it just above her stomach. My throat catches itself when I try to scream and nothing comes out. She twists the handle and I practically race through the door pushing her against the kitchen bench. The knife nicks me hand before it falls against the floor making a reasonable noise.

I stare down at my palm where the cut is. Blood begins to draw. "Are you crazy?" I shout making sure I'm not loud enough for others to hear.

Bianca drops to the floor, her face in her hands as she cries.

I attempt to kneel down beside her, my body shivering from the thought of a dead Bianca.

"Bianca, why would you do that?" I ask quietly. "Please tell me something. I know something is not right and you're my friend, you can tell me."

She looks ups and frowns. "Can you take me home?"

I shake my head. "Of course not. I'm not letting you out of my sight."

"I need to go home," she protests.

"To hell with home, you're staying here," I say.

The door creaks open as some pushes it forward. I watch as Sam watches us.

"Everything okay?" He says when he notices Bianca crying.

I shove my hand under my thigh so that Sam doesn't worry about the cut.

I shake my head. "I don't think so."

He kneels down beside Bianca, placing a hand on her shoulder. "What's wrong, B?"

He throws a cloth from the kitchen bench at me. "Might want to wipe your wound."

I watch him for a few seconds. How did he know?

"I need to go home," Bianca repeats.

Sam nods. "Okay, but it's late at night. Leave in the morning."

"I need to go now," Bianca protests.

"Okay," Sam says. "It's too late to go alone, I'll drive you."

She nods as Sam helps her up.

"What!" I say. "She isn't going anywhere."

Sam shakes his head in confusion as Bianca watches me with teary eyes. "Please Vi."