Chapter 15

Aaron's POV

I sat on my couch watching TV, trying to calm myself after what happened. It didn't work very well. I heard a light knock on my door, and it made me jump. I ran over to the door to see who it was and what they wanted. To my surprise, it was Zane. While mostly human, he still had dog qualities. "Hi," I said. "Hey. Could you do me a favor?" he asked. I nodded, and he rambled on. "I was hoping you could look after Vi. She still seems on edge, and I don't think she's entirely comfortable with being alone yet." I nodded again and he handed me a key. "This is a spare key to my house. I did lock it, so, yeah. I guess being her brother already gives you this job, but, thanks for covering my shift." He smirked while he said it. Turning, he ran for his car down the street. Must be late for work or something, I thought. I shut the door behind me. I ran upstairs to the bedroom, and saw the lump that was Aphmau curled up in the blankets. I smiled. She started to wake up, and eventually swung her legs over the side of the bed. Yawning, she walked out of the room oblivious to my presence. I shook my head and smiled. After getting ready, I walked downstairs to find Aphmau half asleep in our kitchen. As quietly as I could, I sneaked up behind her and put  my hands on her shoulders, making her jump. In defense, she rammed her elbow into my stomach. Should've known she would do that. She turned around to see me, her "attacker." Shocked at first, she laughed as I walked backwards in pain. This made me laugh, too. It had been at least five minutes before we stopped. Getting serious, I told her that Zane came by and asked me to look after Vi. She stared at me confused, which in turn made me confused until I remembered that Zane had been a dog last night. I cleared a few of her questions up with that explanation. She laughed again when I mentioned his tail and ears. I kissed her good by, grabbed Zane's spare key and left. When I got there I unlocked the door like Zane had told me. Vi was sleeping on their couch when I walked in. She was whimpering, and crying. I figured she had had another one of those dreams, something reliving the past. She only ever acted like this when she had a nightmare like that. I sat down next to her and rubbed her back, not entirely sure how to make her sleeping self feel better. After about twenty minutes, she shot up screaming. I got closer to her and hugged her while she sobbed. We stayed that way for a while until she fell asleep again. I kept holding her, wondering if she would have another nightmare. She didn't. Soon enough I let go and picked her up bridal style, carrying her to her room. Making sure she was safe, I shut her door and walked back downstairs. Turning on the TV but keeping the volume low, I finished watching the show I had started. Hours passed. By the time Zane came home I had watched two hour-long movies, The last three 30-minute episodes of a show, and was almost finished with my fourth episode of ONCE. Violet would wake up every now and then and join me on the couch, but usually fell back asleep. One time as I carried her back to bed, I checked her for a fever. I'm not sure why, but I'm glad I did. She was burning up. Alrighty, then, I thought. Violet's sick. I continued to let her rest. When Zane came home I told him that Violet was sick with a fever. He mumbled something under his breath, but I couldn't hear. "Thanks for watching Vi," he said. "No problem. But, make sure she gets plenty of sleep. She'll probably have plenty of nightmares for weeks on end." I warned him. He nodded, and I took my leave.

Zane's POV

Nightmares? I questioned to myself while Aaron left. Nightmares about what? Her kidnapping? Aaron's words left me confused in our living room. While trying to decode his message, I heard slow footsteps coming down the stairs. Violet walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch.  I saw her shiver as if cold, even though it was pretty warm inside. She opened her mouth like she was going to say something, but instead ran into the kitchen. I started to get up and make sure she was OK when my question was answered by the sound of her puking. Not this kind of sickness, I begged. I really can't handle this kind of stuff. Suck it up and help her. I walked cautiously into the kitchen and saw Vi hunched over out trashcan, with knee on the petal that opens the lid. She looked like  she'd puke again, so I walked over to her a little faster. I pulled back her dyed purple hair and rubbed her back. I had no clue what I was doing. I was right. She did puke again, but that time was er last time for now. I got her a glass on water and helped her to her room. She gladly climbed in. I left and grabbed a smaller trashcan, putting a trash bag in it. I left it at the foot of her bed and turned to leave. "Wait," she whispered. I turned around and looked at her. "Stay?" she asked. I smiled and sat down at a chair in her room. "Thanks, I'm not tired, and didn't want to be bored out of my mind." she explained. "It's no problem. I had nothing better to do. You should really get some rest, though."She smiled. We talked most of the night away, until she finally did become tired. I stayed with her until she fell asleep, then went to bed myself. I hope she gets better.