Chapter 11: It's About Time

^for being my first ever supporter/fan on this website, way back when I was still a newbie (I still am ha) but yeah, thanks for all of the conversations girl, you've really helped me out a lot, and it's so weird how close you can get to someone you don't even really know. (it sounds freaky, but it's not really to me. Now if you were a creep, then maybe... LOL kidding)

She doesn't write vampire stories, but she does have 2 great stories, Being the Girl and Coming of Age, as well as a collection of cute little short stories that I feel you'll enjoy, if you like humor and romance and paranormal then you'll like them :)

DIANA

Freedom.

That's what it felt like, walking into Lake Woodlands High the next day for the first time without feeling like the Hester Prynne of the school sporting the metaphorical scarlet letter. I don't know what Aiden did or said, but it was damn obvious that whatever he'd done had worked completely. The change from yesterday to today was so drastic, in fact, that it was starting to get kind of eerie. Instead of constantly harassing me, I was now being bombarded by kindness, a notion I hadn't realized I'd begun to become unfamiliar with. Besides Lexi and Luke, no one's been nice to me since, well, before vampires came about.

It was also getting kind of annoying—or perhaps just a bit too overwhelming. And I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it had a great deal to do with the fact that it was literally just yesterday that these same people were threatening to kill me.

Everywhere I went, random people would either send me smiles or wave and greet enthusiastically, "Hey Diana!" At first it was hard for me to believe they were addressing those smiles and greetings to me, so I didn't respond at all and proceeded to look at them in utter confusion, probably seeming really dumb as I did so. And then after a while, once I actually got over the shock, I would finally respond. But I still had no idea exactly how to respond, so awkward half waves would simply have to do.

Some people even went to the extent of apologizing for their "rude behavior" in the past and asking if we could start over. Because I wasn't a completely cold person, I accepted, but in my heart I knew I would probably never be able to completely forgive them. I suppose that mostly had to do with the fact that, even if they were being nice to me for once, I could never, ever like them after the three years of torture they'd all put me through.

I rounded the corner then in order to get to my locker, but only to find Luke and Lexi already waiting for me there. The expressions on their faces both looked mystified and they continued to watch me curiously as I made my way over to them.

"Hey guys," I said casually when I finally got within speaking distance of them.

"Hey," Lexi responded first, dragging out the end in an okay-I-know-you-have-something-to-tell-me-so-spill-it kind of way. To any outside bystander,  there wouldn't be anything more to be read from that, but of course, only would actually be able to interpret that single word as so much more. Well hey, what are best friends for?

"Hey..." I said back in a whatever-do-you-mean-Lexi? kind of way. She lifted an eyebrow in response, showing she immediately understood the true meaning behind my response and wasn't buying it. Damn it, why did we have to be so close?

"Hey?" Luke said then, catching onto whatever was going on but obviously not understanding it whatsoever. 

I looked at Luke. He didn't look any more different than usual—he still had the same gorgeous navy eyes and sexy, tousled hair, not to mention a flannel shirt that emphasized his toned muscles—but for some reason he was just looking extremely hot today. Was that a sign that I was only starting to like him more and more with each day?