Chapter 4: Good news and then Not-so-good news

Just as the bell rang, I walked into my last and most dreaded class of the day:

Vampire Studies.

I bet you're probably thinking the same thing I thought when I found out taking this class was mandatory: they actually made a class for that? Yep. And it's absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. But then again, that's just my opinion, and as a rule no one actually cares about my opinion. Especially the entire freaking school board who'd denied me when I had peacefully protested to the mandatory-ness of the class.

So here I am, sitting in vampire studies, wondering if my life could get any more ironic; I mean, vampire-hater who's best friends with the biggest vampire-lover (which I don't mind) being forced to attend a class that spends the entire time talking about vampires and how "super awesome" they are (which I do mind)?

Mr. Vlad-and before you even ask, yes that is actually his real name (he claimed to be an actual descendant of the real Dracula, which I think is a load of bull)-walked into the room shortly after I found my seat. As soon as he came in, he narrowed his eyes at me, and I returned the look.

Mr. Vlad, just like the rest of the student body, loathed me with a passion. He was also the only teacher at Lake Woodlands High who was a vampire. So I guess it wasn't exactly surprising that he fell into the "people who hate me" category. 

Well hey buddy, at least the feeling's mutual!

Finally he looked away from me to address the class with a totally fake smile.

I heard pretty much all of the girls sigh as soon as he did. Really now? They did that-literally-every freaking day! Yeah, because he was a vampire, that made him "super gorgeous" or whatever, but I honestly thought he had one of the most uninteresting personalities ever. However, because he was a vampire, they didn't care. Apparently vampires are "cool" no matter what they're like on the inside.

"Hello class," he said in a voice that sounded like a cross between a sigh and a drone.  He always sounded like this, and I'm pretty sure he meant for it to sound seductive. There was something about vampires and their need to always seduce people and sadly, for the most part, it worked; every time Mr. Vlad spoke, there were constant longing sighs coming from the girls. I didn't get it though; to me he sounded like a mix between an annoying bee and Eeyore... 

"Welcome to another day of vampire studies!" he then exclaimed, though it still managed to come out sounding more like a sigh, "Isn't it a great day to learn about vampires? Aww shucks, who am I kidding? EVERY day's a great day to learn about vampires!"

I rolled my eyes. "Aww shucks, could you be any more of a fake turd?" I muttered under my breath.

As soon as I said that, I heard a snicker come from my right. Wait, did I really just hear that? Usually people either glared at me or mocked me in some way. 

I turned my head to look at this person.

As soon as I did, I made eye contact with a guy's navy blue eyes. A really hot guy's navy blue eyes. His black hair was tousled in a hot, yeah-that's-right-I-just-got-out-of-bed-with-a-lady kind of way. His lips were pulled into an amused smile that was absolutely sexy.

As I practically checked him out right there, which I'd noticed he was practically doing the same with me, I realized I'd never seen this guy before. Was he new? That would be strange, I mean it was already pretty much the third week of school-almost a month since we had started.

I rammed through my head to try to think of something to say. Finding that, for some reason, I was having some kind of mental block, I ended up just blurting out the first thing I could think of.