Chapter 5

Kestrel's POV

How did she know that they were after her? "It's not your fault." I say. Ash shivers the slightest bit.

"They were just trouble making rogues." I lie. She doesn't seem like she believes it.

"Trust me Tundra. It's fine honestly, I'm fine and it's not your fault." I try and reassure her.

"Yes, but Alph- Kestrel, they-." I cut her off. "Did you hold the blade?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "Did you coat the blade in wolfsbane?" She shook her head once again.

"See? You didn't do it and it's nothing to worry about." She shrugs in defeat and get out of her cot.

Ash helps her up and Tundra shivers at his touch. I start to get up until Ash sends a death glare my way.

"You stay and get better." I frown and he tilts his head a bit. I shake my head and try and get up.

He scoffs "Don't come crying to me if you hurt yourself." He says sarcastically. "Don't worry, I won't even need your help."

He laughs a little and walks upstairs. I follow him and Tundra. They go into his room and I go into mine.

I open the door and walk into my room. I plop myself on my bed and take a deep breath.

Tundra's POV

Ash and I go back to his room. I've been getting more comfortable with Ash. We lay down, my head on his chest. He sighs as he pets my hair.

"I won't let them get you. That's a promise." Ash whispered as he played with my hair.

I started crying as I gripped on to his shirt. My tears stained his light grey t-shirt as I cried.

"Tundra? What's wrong?" Ash asks as he rubs my back soothingly.

I let out a yelp when he touches my fresher, not scarred over yet wounds. He turns me over so I'm on my stomach. He pulls up my shirt and looks at my back. A growl rips through his throat and I start trembling.

"Who did this to you?" He asks.

I whimper in response. I couldn't tell him, he'd get hurt or I'd get hurt.

"Tundra please tell me." Ash begged.

He had sat me up, facing him. Tears started to pour from his eyes as well.

"I can't help you if you don't tell me." He pleaded.

I tried to ignore his cries but I couldn't. I was so tired, I laid down, taking Ash with me. I rested my head on his chest. I could feel him trying to hold back his crying. I felt so bad that I was causing him all of this pain.

I whimpered as I closed my eyes once again and fell asleep.

Kestrel's POV

I couldn't really fall asleep because I had slept for a while at the infirmary. So I sat on my bed just staring at the wall.

Nothing was new with the wall so I got up and walked over my bookcase very carefully. I picked up the leather book and sat back down on my bed.

I opened it to the first page and began to read about the war.

A reign of darkness fell throughout our land as the wolves neared for battle. A howl was heard and then it began.

Growls and howls were passed around. Many brave warrior wolves were fatally wounded and or killed.

Both sides were dying out until the sun rose once again. Then they saw what they had done for four months straight.

Over half of the population from both sides was gone. Warriors, Medics alike were lying bloody on the ground.

Parents were left without children, children were left without parents.

Heartbreak, tragedy, and grief was lowered onto us that day.

The two sides then swore that it would never happen again.

I yawned and set the book on my bedside table. I lied down on my bed and slowly fell into a painful yet peaceful slumber.

Tundra's POV

I shot awake from my slumber. Another nightmare had hit me like a bus. Tears were falling from my eyes. I looked at Ash, who was sleeping peacefully. Dry tears stained his cheeks.

I got out of Ash's arms and snuck out of his room. I roamed the empty hallways. I found myself in a bathroom. I looked in the mirror and whimpered. Jack was right, I am hideous. I don't know why Ash is so worried about me. He can easily reject me and find someone better.

More tears poured out of my eyes as I silently cried. I heard a knock at the door and I wiped away my tears.

"Tundra?" Ash's voice sounded.

"Y-yes?" I answer shakily.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine." I replied.

"Can I come in?" He questioned.

I didn't want to say he couldn't because I didn't want to get hurt, but I didn't want him in here. I started crying again.

"Please don't cry." Ash pleaded.

"I-I'm sorry." I whimpered as tears silently fell.

"Please open the door." Ash begged.

I reached for the door knob and hesitantly opened the door. As soon as I did, Ash's arms went around me.

"You scared me." He whispers.

I carefully hug him back. I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't push him away, that would makes sad and him angry. I just sighed as we continued hugging.

Kestrel's POV

I awoke in the morning, but I was not hungry, I was actually sick to my stomach. I rushed to my bathroom and threw up.

I coughed a few times after and sat down. I heard a knock and a voice. Crap, today I volunteered to help the young wolves train.

"I'll be out in a minute." I say. I wipe myself off and look in the mirror. I immediately feel better and walk over to my closet.

Over the years I collected quite a wardrobe and sometimes my brother gets all rude about it. He says sometimes I seem human.

Well duh, I am basically half human. Plus, he wears it too. I grab a pair of short and a tank top. I carefully slide my tank top on and same with my shorts.

I walk out of my room and down the stair. I go into one of the bigger room on the second level and see the young children play fighting.

I smile and walk over to the instructor. "How are they doing?" I ask. The instructor looks up at me; I am quite tall.

"I am just letting them have a free day today," he says "they've worked so hard the past couple of months."

I smile and sit down the watch them. A group of rambunctious boys fight in the corner and I laugh. A group of girls sit together and draw.

A small boy sits in the corner drawing in the dirt. He seems really lonely. I walk over to him and sit on his left.

"Hey, what's your name?" I ask. He looks up at me with big blue eyes. "Your an alpha." He whispers with a small voice.

I nod "My friends call me Kestrel, what's your name?" I ask again. "Zander." He says. I nod and peer at his drawing.

It's a small human walking with a wolf. "Want me to hangout with you?" I ask. He nods and continues to doodle.