Chapter 78: In Loving Memory

Sorry about the delay, but this book is huge, and it's been a lot of work to tie everything up. Enjoy!

--------------------------

     My feet ghosted across the ground as the early morning sun flickered through the leaves that I was running under. It had been far too long since I had been able to do my usual morning run. In fact, I don't think that I had run like this since Naruto returned to the village. I was just too busy, or too injured, the entire time. Okay, I had gone on a few scattered runs here and there during that time, but not the consistent, daily runs that I enjoyed. My pace slowed as I reached the Yamanaka's flower shop while Ino turned the sign from closed to open. I had timed it perfectly. Queue mental pat on the back.

     Slowing to a brisk walk, I strolled into the shop as the ring of the bell on the door was the only sound that broke the morning quiet.

     "Morning, Ino."

     She looked up from the area under the desk where she had been organizing things for the day, "Morning, Ana. You're here early."

     I smiled as I walked over to the flowers that I needed, "Well, I felt like coming by after my morning run."

     "Should you be running again yet? Lady Tsunade just cleared you to leave the hospital."

     Shrugging, I gathered up what I needed, "She made me lie around in that bed for another week and a half after I woke up. At this point, I'm so stir crazy that I would just go insane if I didn't run." I placed my purchase on the counter.

     "This everything for you today?"

     "Yes," I looked at her as her eyes filled with sadness while looking at the large bundle of white lilies on the counter. "Ino... Are you alright?"

     She wiped her eyes, "Why wouldn't I be?" I gave her a pointed look, and she gulped, "Dad died for all of us to win. I'm fine."

     I reached across the counter to hold her trembling hand that was trying in vain to count out my change, "Just know that if you ever need anything, my apartment's a short walk away." I know what it was like to lose a parent, and sometimes just knowing that someone cares is enough.

     Her eyes locked on mine with gratitude, "Thank you, Ana. I'll remember that."

     With a small smile, I gave her hand a gentle squeeze before gathering up my flowers. As I walked out the door, I heard Ino rush from behind the counter.

     "Ana, you forgot your change!"

     I shot her a little smile over my shoulder, "You keep it. Buy that perfume I saw you ogling with Sakura the other day." I ran off before she could insist that I take the change anyways.

     "Thank you!"

     I shot my hand up over my shoulder in a small wave while I heard the clang of the bell as the door of the flower shop closed behind Ino when she went back to getting ready for the day.

     I walked respectfully down the lines of graves, taking special care to avoid walking over the heads of any of the deceased. I don't know if there's a superstition or anything like that that goes with walking over the faces of the dead, but I didn't want to be disrespectful. These were shinobi, and they deserved to not have me treading all over them.

     Tears burned unshed in my eyes as I knelt in front of the first grave on my trip. I had been unconscious for his funeral, and I felt guilty even though it was nothing that I had any control over. There were quite a few flowers there already.