This Is What It Takes

Shawn's POV

I walk into my shared apartment from the cold garage. I open the door to see almost no lights on, which means y/n has already gone to bed. It's only 7 o'clock, which is kind of strange to me. She usually waits for me down here on the couch curled up in a blanket, looking all warm and sweet.

I set my bag down, and take my jacket off, hanging it on the coat hook we have near our garage door. I slip my shoes off, and pad up the stairs to our room. There isn't any light spilling from the door, so I open it quietly and see her curled up in our bed. I walk over to her and kiss her forehead lightly, then walking to the closet and bathroom, grabbing some pajama pants and slipping them on, taking my shirt off. I walk to the sink, and see her phone sitting on the counter. I pick it up and see a text. I unlock it, and look at the conversation she had with her best friend earlier that night.

"I feel so insecure and sad today, and Shawn isn't here when I need him like most of the time. I feel awful and I just want someone here. I don't know what to do. I can't call him because he's probably recording and I don't want to bother him. I'm just gonna try to sleep and hopefully he will be here when I wake up."

I feel tears brim in my eyes. How could I be so ridiculous? I know she gets mixed feelings about my career and how much I'm gone, but I didn't know she feels bad about herself for it.

I scroll further up in the text messages and she talks about how she dreams about us. I wipe my eyes and lock her phone, brushing my teeth. Then bringing her phone out and plugging it in on her dresser, silencing mine which I place next to it. I crawl into bed after reading for a little while.

It's 9 pm. I get under the covers and wrap my arms around her, I pull her closer to me and I can feel her chest rising and falling with every breath. I kiss her neck, shoulder, and cheek many times, I love her so much.

Y/n POV

I feel someone pull me to them, I know it's Shawn because almost immediately I can smell his cologne. He starts peppering kisses on me and I relax at his touch. I still feel sad, because I should be awake and downstairs when Shawn comes home and we should spend time together in the evenings.

I sniffle, feeling a tear roll down my cheek. This is the 4th time I've cried today. Shawn stirs.

"Babe?" He whispers. I turn over and face him, my eyes still shut. He grabs my hand and strokes it. "I read your texts to y/f/n, I didn't know you felt that way babe, I'm so sorry."

I open my eyes and meet his gaze, his eyes look sad, I'm sure mine do too. I sigh, searching for how I should respond.

"I'm-I'm sorry Shawn, I'm just clingy and emotional." I scoot closer to him. He suddenly looks angry.

"Babe, you are not clingy, don't you ever say that again. There's a difference between being clingy and being sad." He says, pulling me even closer. I lay my head on his chest and listen to his heart and breathing. I start crying, not even noticing at first. Shawn kisses my head and holds me tighter. "I'm going to stay home for a while. I finished recording today, actually." He says softly. I nod and wipe my tears. "How about we get away? Let's lock ourselves in here and make forts and just have a little stay-cation? I wanna spoil you, princess." I nod.

"That sounds good, baby." I tell him.