How did you know?

Shawn making muffins always meant a big mess that I would have to make him clean later, while he's too busy half bragging and half whining about how good his muffins are. He claims they're so great because he gets the special chocolate chips from that one store like fifty miles away. I walked into the kitchen, he was just starting out. "Babe, why don't we make muffins later?" I smiled at him, using all my will power not to cave when he pulled out his pouty face.

"Fine." He finally agreed, as the doorbell rang. "Go get the door, I'll be there in a minute."

I walked to the door, opening it. I hugged the girl in the door like I had known her my whole life. I had known her for a while now. "Hey, Aaliyah!" I smiled at her. Aaliyah was like my own sister. She came to spend a couple days with us every summer, and me and her both looked forward to it. It was like girl time with us.

Aaliyah put her backpack and duffel bag down by the couch, as I waved bye to the driver outside. Shawn walked out of the kitchen, drying off his hands. "Hello, child." He said, smiling, bending down to hug his sister.

"Hey, loser." Aaliyah laughed, hugging him back. She was growing up, but he still towered over her. "So, I'm sure your girlfriend planned out the day and you just agreed to what she said?" She said to Shawn, as he smiled and nodded proudly.

"So, first we can go shopping for a while, then we can make muffins but Shawn has an interview and photoshoot." I listed off the itinerary, as Aaliyah smiled and Shawn pouted at the mention of his food.

Aaliyah and I dragged Shawn to the mall. We spent five hours, and enough money there. "Okay, last store, I promise, babe." I smiled at Shawn and kissed his cheek, catching up where his sister was. I pulled a cart over and me and her piled on swimsuits, dresses, jeans of all types, cardigans, graphic tees, and any other wearable clothes we could find up. I looked over just a second for my boyfriend as I pushed the cart and walked with Aaliyah to the fitting rooms.

"Do you see your brother anywhere?" I asked her. She looked for a minute and gestured over to the direction we were walking. I spotted a exhausted Shawn sitting on the bench outside the fitting rooms. He had all our bags around him, and he looked like he was going to pass out any moment. We had been shopping for a long time now, and he hadn't complained all day. Usually, he complained when I took too long shopping but he didn't today. I walked over to him. "Just a little longer, Shawn." I grinned at him, as Aaliyah and I picked rooms right next to each other.

It took us a bunch of time to try on a filter through clothes and he just sat there, nodding supportively at anything we came out wearing. Finally, we picked the ones we wanted and paid for them and we got in the car. I drove Shawn to the venue of his interview and kissed him goodbye, before driving Aaliyah home with me. "Having fun so far?" I asked her, and I saw her nodding fast in the rear view mirror.

I parked the car in front of our house and helped her take all the clothes inside, leaving them on the table. "We can sort out those later." I assured her, and she agreed. "You can turn on the TV. Shawn's interview is live on Channel Ten." She turned on the TV and it had already started.

I grabbed some snacks and put them down on the coffee table in front of us while watching. I recognized the interviewer a bit, from other interviews maybe. "So, Shawn. Let's talk about your girlfriend." She said, and he perked up a little, not as tired. "People always say your girlfriend isn't as attractive as Madison or any of the other guys's girls, but you two have been together forever now. Tell us your secret to a long relationship." Aaliyah looked at me with mouth wide open at the sound of the insult towards me. I just mentioned how I didn't care, but honestly I wanted to hear what he would say.

Shawn raised his eyebrows, but politely waited for her to finish her sentence. "To start, I'd like to point out that I think my girlfriend is the most beautiful person I have ever laid my eyes on, and I don't think even Madison or any of the other girls would appreciate your statement. The secret to a long healthy relationship is to keep faith in each other, support each other, never go to bed angry and most of all, don't listen to other opinions on your relationship." He gently stated, smiling his adorable smile after, covering up the fact that he had dissed the interviewer. I held my hands up to my cheeks to keep from blushing.

I picked up the food as the interview ended and we started on the muffins. We had made a big mess, but we knew how to clean. About an hour later, finally we had put the muffins in the oven to bake and we were seated on the floor of the kitchen playing the flour game, trying hard not to let our flour mountain die, with flour and chocolate smears on our clothes. "How did you know?" Aaliyah spoke as we recovered from a laughing fit about something that probably wasn't even that funny. I gave her a confused look and she elaborated. "How did you know that Shawn was the love of your life?" She asked, looking me in the eyes and then looking down.

I thought to myself for a minute. "I'm not sure, you just know. When you look at him, and you can't imagine your future without him. When you're away from him and not only do you miss him, but you miss how his voice sounds right after a cup of coffee in the morning. When you have no doubt in your mind about what he's doing, even if he's not constantly telling you. When he smiles after his team wins a game, and you fall in love all over again. It's different for everyone, you'll just know." I smiled at her. I wasn't really sure about what I was even saying.

I finished my thought and the door opened. Shawn walked over to where we were and enveloped us in a hug. "My two favorite girls." Right there, I was sure. This is the person I couldn't imagine my future without. That's how I knew.