14

《☆☆☆》

(Kasumi's POV)

Time passed quickly as the final stage of the chunin exams arrived. Kakashi was terribly late, as per usual. Naruto was in the hospital after his encounter with Gamabunta. I felt like a proud mama bird. I was happy that he was making progress in his training. I believe he will win his battle, be it through skill or just pure gutsyness.

As for the situation arising with Orochimaru and Suna, I have located the white snake. He is posing as the Kazekage and is manipulating the Suna shinobi to his will. Just to be sure, I sent out some ANBU to search parts of the desert where the people travel. Not too far off from a trail, the Kazekage and his convoy were found slaughtered in a canyon. My blood was boiling at the stupidity of Orochimaru. I have stayed right next to the Hokage for about a week straight now. Jiraiya is watching Naruto from afar so I don't get worried. My nerves were tingling as the next day approached. Tomorrow was the final exam day. We don't know the scheduling of who is fighting who yet, but we will find it soon. Currently, I am sitting next to Hiruzen in his office. He is still handing out missions as normal. He wasn't going to tip them off that he knew a battle was coming. He didn't send too many off at once though and only sent them on short missions. We would need help if they attacked early. I asked Hiruzen to stay away from the chunin exam arena as they were fighting. I wanted him as far away from battle as possible. He is the symbol of hope to the Leaf and we can't afford to lose him. Obviously he refused. He wanted to be there to protect his people and fight alongside them. He wasn't going to hide while others did his dirty work. He was an hands on Hokage and I respected that. The day stayed quiet. I would call it the quiet before the storm, the battle. It was slightly eerie. The citizens had no idea what was going on. We didn't want them to have mass hysteria because it would make everything that much worse. All shinobi have their eyes and ears open, as well as their guard up. The barrier I set in place in still holding strong. No complications have arisen so I fear that all of the warriors Suna will be using are already here.

"Has Kakashi yet to return?" I asked Hiruzen.

He shook his head and continued to read the write ups of the latest missions. I groaned inwardly. Kakashi won't make it on time but he will make it. He got this habit from Obito and he continues to do it to honor him. It was hard to cheer Kakashi up after Obito's death. He completely blamed himself. He wouldn't talk about Obito but he would talk about his ideals.

Moving onto happier memories, I laughed on the inside about Kakashi's test for his team. He got that idea from Minato, his sensei.

At the thought of Minato, I became crestfallen. I really missed him. He would always tell me stories about his day. That's why I know so much about things even though I don't like to show myself often. I've gotten over my distrust of most humans but I still have that lingering fear in the pit of my stomach. I still have that fear because most humans want one thing and that is war. There is no point to war when we could settle a situation through diplomatic means.

"Kasumi!" a voiced dragged me out of my thoughts.

My ears perked up and I turned to look in the direction from which the voice came from. Hiruzen was the only one here.

"Did I miss something?" I questioned.

"I've been calling your name for the last couple minutes. Are you alright?" he asks, swiveling his chair to face me.

"I've just got a lot of things on my mind at the moment. Enough about me, what did you need?" I shrugged.

"I thought you would want to know that Naruto is back." he smiled.

"Is he well?" I asked.

"You should go see him." Hiruzen nods.

"I can't."

"I order you to go see Naruto." he smirked at his authority.

I had no response to that.

"Where is he?"

"In the hospital."

"The hospital?!"

I was already halfway out the window by the time I finished talking to him. I spread my wings and flew over to the hospital. I looked into a couple windows until I found him. He was sleeping soundly on a cot with Jiraiya watching over him. I rattled the glass lightly to get his attention but not to wake Naruto. Jiraiya opened the window without turning around to look at me.

"I could have been an enemy, you know." I scolded.

"The enemy wouldn't have the courtesy of knocking on the window." Jiraiya chuckled.

"Good point." I murmured as I landed on the floor.

"How did he get hurt?" I investigated.

"Well, he wouldn't give up against Gamabunta that easily. He put up a strong fight and Gamabunta recognized him for that. Naruto can now summon Gamabunta and the other toads without any issues." he explains.

"Hmph, sounds like Naruto alright." I chuckled.

"Well I'm going to leave now that you're here." he said.

"Where are you going?" I questioned.

"I'm going off to go gather information once again." he nods.

"The information we can use or the information that earned you the title of Pervy-Sage." I mocked.

"Both."

"You say that so shamelessly." I scoffed.

"Well I've been doing it for a long time so I'm used to just about everything." he shrugs.

"Well get on your way, I don't want Naruto to pick up on your habits." I said like a dissapointed mother.

Jiraiya chuckled and nodded his head as a farewell. He jumped out the window and onto the streets below. I turned back to Naruto who was still asleep. I lie down next to the cot and place my head on the cot. I close my eyes and actually get some sleep for once.

《☆☆☆》

I feel like I'm dragging the chunin exams out too much. Should I pick up the pace of the story?