11

《☆☆☆》

(Kasumi's POV)

I retrace steps until I arrive back where Orochimaru and I first came into contact. From there, I followed his chakra trail. I suppressed my own so I could possibly have the element of surprise. That was only a hope, Orochimaru is an exceptional shinobi. After following the trail for a while, I came across another familiar chakra.

"Come on out Jiraiya, I know you're there." I call.

"Hmph, as observant as ever, Kasumi." he mulled over.

"Did you expect anything less?" I chuckled.

"Not at all." he sighed.

"Are you looking for Orochimaru as well?" I asked.

"Yes and no." he says.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I look at him.

"I really just came to Konoha because Hiruzen-sensei asked me to. I haven't met with him yet, for obvious reasons." Jiraiya yawned.

"You are quite lazy, you know that? What have you actually accomplished besides doing 'research' for your book?" I rolled my eyes.

"It is research! I haven't done much else." he grumbled.

"Well, I have something you can do. I don't know why Hiruzen called you here but since you are here you can be helpful." I directed.

"What are you getting me into?" he asks suspiciously.

"You obviously know of Naruto, correct?" I muse.

"What are you getting at?" he eyes me.

"He'll need someone to train him. I can only do so much. The Akatsuki has made several moves already that I was able to intercept. He needs to learn how to defend himself without using Kurama's chakra." I explain.

"I figured that's why he called me back. Where's the kid now?" Jiraiya asks.

"He is in the middle of the chunin exams which Orochimaru has weaseled his way into." I growled.

"Figures he would do that. He's after Sasuke's Sharingan." Jiraiya sighs.

"The Hokage is currently dealing with the situation and I am doing my best to help. I need you to train Naruto while I eliminate some rats." I chuckle.

"I guess I don't really have a choice, do I?" he laughs.

"No, you really don't. Also, please do not teach Naruto your habits." I added.

Jiraiya laughs sheepishly before agreeing with me. He says goodbye and heads off to the Hokage's building. I continue following Orochimaru's trail which has unsurprisingly gone cold. He completely eliminated his presence. He has to be after more than Sasuke's Sharingan if he is making himself scarce. The best I can do now is watch his minions, the Sound ninja. I travel back to where the preliminaries are being held and make my way back to Hiruzen.

"He has made himself scarce, be on the lookout for trouble." I warned him, whispering in his ear.

He gives a slight nod with an annoyed expression on his face. I looked down into the arena to watch the genin battle each other. Shukaku was battling a taijutsu user. He was getting frustrated quickly at the speed of his opponent. More so when the opponent took weights off. He is stirring up trouble in an area where his host can handle it completely. I snarled for a second before I composed myself. It was unbelievable that people couldn't feel the sinister air. Shukaku made the final blow, completely crushing his opponent's left arm and leg. He fell with a shout of great pain. Shukaku was going in for the killing blow next, his host lying on the ground. I jumped down to Shukaku, taking his host out of the room and back outside. I held the boy by the gourd on his back. Trails of sand were left behind as I took him further away. I drop him on the ground and waited for him to stand. He stood up almost immediately, moving his sand towards me.

"Shukaku, ENOUGH!" I shouted.

The sand drops and retreats back into the gourd.

"Let your host beat his own enemies. I won't hesitate to make the seal stronger. I know you enjoy killing but we are not in that era anymore. Don't let Orochimaru entice you with battle." I lectured.

I knew it wouldn't work if I just talked with him. I will have to beat it out of him when the time comes. Naruto might be able to help him too though. He has this weird habit of making friends with anybody, literally.

Shukaku's host folded his arms and grunted, showing his distaste for me. I snorted and walked back towards the exam building. The examinations were completed with Sasuke and Naruto passing. I learned that Sakura had come out with a tie against her rival. I congratulated her even though she did not advance. She had shown improvement. Maybe while the boys are off doing their training, I could take her under my wing.

Ever so slightly, the tension grew thicker in the air. There was a month until the final exam. Only one month to improve one's fighting skills. I walked over to Naruto who was slightly shaking.

"Don't tell me you're scared." I laughed.

"Why would I be! I can beat everyone here, dattebayo! Just you watch, I'll even beat teme!" he shouted.

"Alright, I will watch, I promise. Now you need to find a teacher." I said.

"I thought you were going to train me?!" he pouted.

"Erm...some things came up that I need to take care of. My sincerest apologies. Maybe Kakashi has an idea for your teacher. Why don't you go ask him." I said, pushing him along with my paw.

Yes, I do already know that Jiraiya will be training him. Jiraiya will have to find him, besides Kakashi may have found a decent teacher.

"CLOSET PERVERT!! HE'S MY TEACHER!?!?" Naruto shouts in disgust.

I roll my eyes at Kakashi's decision. He could have possibly chosen Iruka, but then again he is busy teaching at the academy.

I make my way back to Hiruzen. As of now, this is the most threatening issue. With Jiraiya here in Konoha, the Akatsuki wouldn't dare approach. Now all I really have to is work on the city's defenses and protecting the Hokage. I still have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I will ignore it for now, it could just possibly be that I'm hungry.

《☆☆☆》