Kids

|| Lacey ||

"Can I ask you something? But it's just a question." He said.
We were sitting on the couch at my apartment reading. My legs were over his lap and he had his book in one hand while his other was near my thigh. I had my book right on my stomach

I didn't look from my book at first, but nodded with a,"Mmhmm."
"Do you ever think about kids?" This got me to turn from my book, more suddenly than I had intended and he laughed a little,"Don't worry I don't mean now, we're still young. But just...at all."

We hadn't really discussed the topic too into depth, but instead we'd grazed over it casually. I liked kids, actually I really loved kids. I'd had the picture of Ross and myself having a family at some point in our future. But right now we were 21, nearing 22, we were young; he was right.

I folded the corner of my book and and started to close it,"I've thought about it."
He nodded slowly.
"A lot..." I added, but this time a little quieter.

I wasn't a baby freak who was obsessed with any and all kids; and I definitely didn't want 10 kids running around. But I can't deny that whenever I saw a cute baby out in the store or something, I wanted one of my own. I wanted to care for one and hold one, one that I could call mine; and I wanted that with Ross. After seeing a baby my mind would wander to a place where Ross and I were parents. It was nice.

"...me too." He smiled.
I was genuinely a little surprised, and it showed.
"I've kinda had a thing for you my whole life if you forget," he smirked,"eventually after you think about making a baby, you think about actually having a baby."
I laughed,"What do you think about, specifically?"
He started closing his book just as I had and shrugged,"Little things really. Like how we'd have their first birthday, holding their hands as we try to help them take their first steps, waking up to them running into our room and jumping up on the bed."
I smiled at the images he'd created in my mind,"I didn't realize you were so domestic."
He shrugged again,"Neither did I. That's just what comes to mind when I see a baby." His smile grew,"You know we'd have a pretty cute baby."
I could see it. A little boy, flowy blonde locks, beautiful, big brown eyes brown, huge smile filled with energy and life. Or a creative, beautiful little girl, with a look that would get us to do just about anything.
"You'd be a good father." I said. Seeing the image of our potentially future kids, I saw Ross there. Teaching our son to play guitar and ride a bike, and spoiling his little girl and hating the fact that she was growing up so fast.
"You'd be a good mother." He said,"You had a good role model."
It was brief, but I did. My mom was absolutely incredible, not to mention I had another mother figure in my life; Stormie was just as amazing.
She would be in love with the idea of a grand-baby on the way. Everyone would.
"If we did have a baby...they'd have quite the family." I smiled.
Ross nodded in agreement,"They would."