Chapter 23: Home

Duska

The smell of spaghetti runs through the air as everyone surrounds the couch i'm sitting on. We're all watching something on tv with conversations happening all around, Undyne talks with Alphys and Pap, while Toriel talks with Asgore, Frisk, Chara and Flowey. The only ones who weren't talking was Sans and I, we were just sitting in an awkward silence.

"hey kid?"

I turn towards him and see a blue powder on his cheekbones, is he blushing?

"Y-Yeah Sans?"

"u-uh... y-your so cute it's distracting."

The room suddenly goes quiet as I stare at Sans who quickly hides his face inside of his hoodie and seems to sink inside of the couch. I feel my own cheeks burning up as his words replay in my head.

"Hey Sans?"

He peeks out from the hole in his hood and says a muffled 'yeah?' from within.

"Don't hide. You never know who could be falling in love with your smile."

He completely removes his hoodie and stares right into my eyes, his blue blush brightens as he moves an inch closer to me.

"dus... i lo-"

"Hun... c'mon hun wake up."

I slowly open my eyes to see a hand waving in front of my face, I push it down and groan into whatevers laying on top of me. Hearing a deep chuckle and look over to see Jay looking expectantly at me.

"Wakey wakey hun."

"Urgh... five more minutes..."

"I'm gonna pick ya up in a minute if ya don't get up."

I groan and I hear a car door open and close, it made me think about that dream I just had. I really must like Sans if we're exchanging pick up lines and what was he about to say? I sigh as I realize that it's just a dream and the fact that Sans probably doesn't like me like that. Suddenly the door beside me opens as whatever is on me is thrown aside, I feel Jay pick me up and I lean into him. Opening my eyes only slightly I watch as he walks towards a small clear pond and starts swinging me. As he throws me I activate my magic and I suddenly appear behind him, falling onto the soft grass.

"Huh!?!"

"Behind you."

When he turns his face is priceless, surprise, happiness and even fear were all visible and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Seems your better than I ha' thought! Let's go inside now hun."

He gives me an arm up and leads me towards the house. It's white paint has peeled a lot from the years without being cared for, but the windows all seem to be clean of dust and dirt.

"I come over almost e'ry month to clean the place, hopin' I find somethin' new."

I nod and open the door, the house is exactly how I remember it. White walls in the hallway but a sky blue personally painted by Dad and I in the lounge room. The plants have been watered frequently with the machine Dad installed in the walls and not a single bug sits around the house.

"When I find ya Dad imma ask 'im how he kept the flies out."

I walk towards the lab door giggling, I want to know how myself. He kept every experiment he ever made in his journal but i'd be extremely surprised if I find it down there. A small metallic device is stuck to the side of the large metal door, I guess the door must be pretty sound proof.

"You know whatcha doin' hun?"

"It looks like I just..."

I place my finger tips onto four indentations in the device and it beeps, just before the door slides off to the side to reveal metal steps leading underground.

"Wooo... Your Dad really liked those secrets o' his didn't he?"

"He was just used to making hiding spots. He had to hide my mother somewhere when we were Underground."

The walls echo our footsteps as we walk down into a dark room. I spot a nearby switch and tap it, making the lights slowly flicker to life. The room's full of glass jars, metal creations and an entire bookcase full of binders and cover books.

"This place is a scientists dream..."

"But I don't see any of those books lookin' like a journal or anythin'."

He's right. Not a single book is out of order, has grammatical or spelling errors in the titles, have a small dot of the wrong color. Nothing to clue where a journal would be hidden if it was here.

"Hun... I don't think anythin's here."

I stare up at the stacks of books that lined the walls and searched over all of them again and again, but nothing was wrong. Nothing to help us find out where Dad went. I sigh and look back at Jay, he's staring at a normal bottle that must have had it's contents evaporate over the years.

"There's nothing here Jay. Nothing at all..."

He walks over to me and wraps his arm over my shoulder as we start heading back up the stairs.

"I'll look through it hun. You though, have work to do."

"Work? What work?"

"You hafta tell the nearby towns about the monsters! Your the only one that can convince those people that they're real."

He leads me upstairs and back outside, opening the passenger door for me.

"I need ta go back to my office and get some things. It's the next town over, i'll drop ya off."

I quickly jump in and put on my seat belt, watching the house fade away as Jay drives down the street. I sadly watch the trees pass as Jay starts talking about one of his cases, i'm listening partially but i'm not retaining any of his words. Talking to towns will help the monsters when they leave but I still want to look for Dad. But... I guess i'll help the monsters anyway I can.

???

Waking up to a pile of flowers with two idiots snoring louder than a cars engine isn't pleasant. Either is walking through stupid puzzles and a house with too much yellow inside.

"Hey G... Where we going?"

"To find a spot then we get some info WITHOUT letting anything see us."

"But... we're humans. We'd be noticed immediately."

"Not if you follow my instructions!"

I slam my shoulder into the door and push it open, it must be made of cement or stone or something as it's really heavy but I can do it. Without the two loafs help I open the door wide enough for us to pass through, the door closing loudly behind us. The world ahead of us is covered in snow with nothing but said snow in sight.

"Come on... we'll camp in the woods for a few nights before searching houses."