Chapter 2: Blue Stop Signs

Sans

I feel my smile widen the more the kid talks and when she had said her name is 'Duska' I felt it grow even more. Before we could talk more the cameras, speakers and every hearing device in the lab malfunctions and now Alphys is trying to fix the meltdown.

"ALPHYS! YOU HAVE TO GET THEM BACK ON! WE HAVE TO HELP HER GET HERE!"

"I-I'm trying Papyrus! The circuit box b-blew up!"

"Then un-blow it up! Use your nerd magic! We need her either way!"

I look at the static screens, waiting for them to show us the image of the black haired girl being accompanied by her very own Gaster Blaster. It has aqua color eyes while Duska now has skeleton arms and bandages wrapped around her pale skin.

"i'm gonna head in."

"What!?! But she could be dangerous!"

"i know her. i used to babysit her when we were younger. she wouldn't hurt a fly."

"ALRIGHT BROTHER, JUST BE CAREFUL! ALPHYS SAID THAT SOME OF THE TRAPS MAY HAVE BEEN ACTIVATED!"

"will do paps."

I wave at them before heading into the elevator and pressing the button for the bottom floor. The doors close and the elevator heads down to the floor the cameras had last seen Duska on. Hopefully she hasn't run into anything dangerous down there.

Duska

I'm pulled back by the Gaster Blaster as an orange beam of light streams across the spot where I was standing a second before. I was pondering on how the skeleton brothers will act to my sudden appearance in the Underground... and what questions that their going to ask me. But right now I have the problem of how do I get across this orange beam of light blocking me from continuing.

"Ugh, why aren't the speakers working? I would accept some help right now..."

I stare into the orange beam of light not knowing what to do. I feel like a bug to a zapper, I have the feeling to just walk into it but I resist.

"hey! kid!?! where are ya!?!"

"Huh? Sans!?! I'm behind the orange beam!"

The voice seems to have come from further down the hall, the opposite side of the beam. After a few seconds a sudden chuckle comes from just the other side.

"so... your duska?"

"Yeah. I am."

"welp... can i see ya? the screen is a little small to see ya on."

"But there's a beam in the way! It'll burn me!"

Another chuckle, I remember Sans always smiling and laughing when I was little. He had liked to tell puns back then and Papyrus had always tried to make him stop by putting his little hands on his teeth.

"just don't stop moving when you touch it. when it's orange you keep moving while if it's blue, you don't move. just imagine a blue stop sign."

"A blue stop sign? Is that even relevant?"

"heh heh... just walk on through kid."

I look back at my Gaster Blaster who gives me a small nod before moving into, then through the beam.

"woah! could'a warned me first."

"Sorry! It sorta just floated in on it's own."

I sigh and begin taking steps, the beam tickles me a little but it ends quickly as I pass through it. A short skeleton with a blue jacket with a fluffy hood, black sport shorts and pink slippers stands in front of me, his smile grows wider as our eyes meet.

"hey kid. nice to see you alive."

"Y-Yeah... I've missed you..."

"heh... missed you too."

I can feel tears rushing to the corners of my eyes, along with the feeling of needing a hug. I rush towards him and land on my knees before wrapping my arms around his neck... vertebrae. I feel his body stiffen up just before his own arms return the hug.

"stop crying kid. there's no need for that."

"B-But... I haven't... been with someone who cares... for so long..."

"huh? but what about your dad?"

I wrap my fingers within his large jacket, I walked straight into that question. 

"U-U-Uh... u-um... I-I..."

"it's alright. don't need to talk right now..."

He shows me his face and his smile, it seems larger then usual. I feel my own smile grow as he wraps his hand with mine and helps me to my feet. I use my free hand to wipe away the falling tears and look ahead of me. I also notice that my Gaster Blaster has disappeared.

"huh... you must have been pretty scared to have your blaster out... it's alright now. your safe here."

"Th-Thank you..."

He starts pulling me along the hallway towards yet another door. It opens before we reach it and a taller skeleton appears in the doorway, it has an orange scarf, blue shorts and a white suit that looks like it belongs in a space movie. 

"HUH? YOU FOUND HER SANS!"

The strangely dressed skeleton runs towards me and throws me into a hug. His high pitch voice reminds me of the smaller skeleton from so many years ago.

"Pa...Papyrus!?!"

"NYEH HEH HEH! YOU REMEMBER ME!"

I hug him back and dig my head into his shoulder. The strange clothing he's wearing makes his bones cushioned and acts almost as a pillow. Suddenly a spear flies through the air, nearly hitting the two of us.

"undyne! she's not going to hurt anyone!"

"She's not human but also definetly not a monster! She isn't getting past me!"

Papyrus lets me go and stands protectively in front of me, arms outstretched. His scarf seems to somehow flap like a cape in the non-existant wind as he stands there.

"NO UNDYNE! SHE'S FAMILY!"

"Outta the way Papyrus!"

Sans stands beside his brother and doesn't move from his spot.

"run kid."

I quickly turn back and run down the same hallway that I had come from. The sound of a fight comes from behind me but I don't turn back. Before turning the corner a sudden pain erupts through my left shoulder, a neon blue spear has pierced through it. Blood splatters the floor in front of me and more runs down my now ruined top.

"duska!"

I quickly rip the spear out of my arm and let the wound get some air by moving my shirt a bit. Bandages appear from the skin of the top of my shoulder and begin to wrap itself around the bleeding wound, both stopping the blood and preventing infection. I turn back towards where the fight was a few moments ago and an anger courses through me, along with a wave of magic.

"What did I ever do to you!?!"

In anger I shoot out a web of bandages from my injured arm, two ends dance with each other as they head towards the spear wielding fish. It passes straight between the two skeletons and wraps itself around the warrior fish before retracting her towards me. It flings her past the skeleton brothers and makes her land on her face, nothing too serious but it's enough of a warning.

"I am SICK of others trying to hurt and use me! So don't even try and do it with me!"

The pain in my arm multiplies as the remaining bandages unwrap themselves from her and returns to me. I collapse to my knees and breathe heavily, pain is radiating throughout the left side of my body. I hear footsteps running towards me and I lift my head to see Papyrus and Sans a metre away. The fish warrior stands and looks at me with a smile of satisfaction, i'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. The skeletons reach me and I see their jaws moving but all noise is replaced by a loud ringing, it's the last thing I hear before collapsing into an empty unconsciousness.