Chapter 4: The Determined

Sans

Duska is moving a lot in her sleep, along with a lot of mumbling about some guy named Venric. I've been watching her for about five minutes now and she's only gotten worse. I shake her a little but it does nothing to effect her.

"hey kid... dus... wake up duska..."

She murmers something but it's too quiet to hear it. I sit up and begin shaking her harder, she just won't snap out of it.

"duska! wake up!"

She screams as her eyes shoot open, her left suddenly is engulphed with aqua colored flames along with her arms. Bandages wrap around her flaming eye as she grasps her legs with her arms, she looks exactly like how she did on the video camera in Alphys Lab. Sobs vibrate around the room but all I can do is stare.

"No more... please... too much... no..."

Her words are becoming more clear but her crying is worsening. I put my hands onto her knees as I lean my forehead onto the back of her head.

"kid... your safe here... whatever happened before you fell down here... won't harm you as long as i'm around..."

Her crying calms down a little and I remove my head as she raises her own. Tears come from only her right eye, the bandages must absorb the tears coming from her left.

"S-Sans... He's g-going to follow m-me..."

"kid no one is going to hurt you. if anyone ever tries to hurt you again you call me. i will be there in seconds for you, alright dus? do you hear me kid?"

Her sobbing is still rather bad, she probably hasn't heard a word that i've said. Suddenly her left arm lights up in the blue-green flame as her sobs get more and more rugged. I pull her into a hug and she leans her head against my ribcage. I wrap my arms around her tightly as she sobs into my shirt, my left hand rubs her back while my right holds her head. I've always hated crying by me or anyone around me, it just means that they're not happy with the events around them or from events in the past.

"S-S-Sans I d-don't w-want to b-be alone..."

"shh... i won't leave ya kid... never..."

"I-I know th-that y-you hate p-promising th-things..."

I sigh and lean my head onto hers. I smile as I lay it there as her breathing calms down into a more rythmic one.

"i do hate it... but i promise dus... i won't leave you alone..."

That's three promises to keep now, one for Pap, another from Toriel and now this one. Right now I don't regret a single one of those promises, even though I did regret Toriels one for a while...

"come on kiddo... some friends are coming over in the morning and you need sleep..."

She lifts her head from my torso and locks eyes with me, a small smile is sitting where a frightened look was a few minutes ago.

"Alright Sans. Thank you."

"no problem dus. go to sleep now, i'll br right here."

She smiles and lays back down, her eyes close as soon as she makes sure that i'm not going anywhere. I close my eye sockets as my head reaches the pillow but open them again as I feel Duska tangle her arm around my waist and hold tightly.