Chapter 40: The Game

Chapter 40

"Grace Carter, you are on fire today, I am not taking you out for the rest of the game." Coach said, pointing at me.

I let out a laugh, pouring some water into my mouth.

"Seriously, girls, this is the perfect example of what I expect from you." Coach said seriously. "Grace has given 110% for the entire game and it's reflected on that scoreboard. The next 45 minutes are ours and I expect nothing less that excellence."

"Woo!" Marley said happily, shooting me a grin.

"Grace, care to share your secret with the rest of us?" Gigi raised her eyebrows with a laugh.

I felt a smile cross my face.

Have sex with your boyfriend? Be in a perfect relationship?

"Uh... I dunno." I laughed. "Maybe it was my smoothie." I teased, glancing at Marley.

"Gross." She gagged, shaking her head. "Absolutely not."

I leaned back against the bench as a smile crossed my face, this had the potential to be the best few days of my life.

"0-0, Grace, 0-0." Gigi reminded me as we jogged out to the field.

That's what we were always told to think when we took the field after halftime.

Play like there was still no score in the game and we had the tone to set.

Even though it was 2-0 and we had the lead, we had to start the half like we were losing and had to come back even stronger.

"Alright guys same starting line-up as before... But I want Marley up top with Grace." Coach said to us, glancing at the clock as the rest of halftime ticked away.

Marley's eyes widened and I felt a smile cross my face.

"Look at you starting!" I laughed, nudging my best friend with my elbow.

"Holy shit." She whispered to me with a laugh. "This is the best week ever."

I laughed and nodded in agreement. "Yes it is."

"What?" I heard Gigi whisper in shock, unsure why her starting position was being taken away. The look on her face said it all.

"Sorry, sorry." Coach said suddenly. "What I meant was we're going to three up top and one center mid. Kate you'll stay in the center alright. Outside mids, you have to be open for those passes. You can't be pulled into the center."

Gigi looked relieved.

"Marley, Grace, you guys have been killing it at practice and I like what I'm seeing between you." Coach told us. "I need that easy give and go stuff up top and we have to run that score up to ourselves as big of a buffer as we can get."

"You got it." I nodded, giving her a fake salute.

"Alright, let's go." Coach said. "Hands in and count on Grace."

I felt a smile cross my face.

"East on three! One! Two! Three!"

"East!"

I gave Marley a wink as we jogged to the center of the circle to take the kick off.

"You ready for this?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Bitch please, I was born ready." Marley said excitedly, jumping up and down a few times.

I held out my hand to her and we quickly did our handshake, filled with little high fives, fist bumps, and a little twirl at the end.