Chapter 32: Disaster Averted

Chapter 32

"Well today was a disaster averted." Michael sighed as we drove back towards his house. "Are you sure you want to come over now?"

"Yeah Wesley probably thinks I died on my run, he was supposed to pick me up ages ago." I laughed. "I'll just borrow some of Marley's stuff."

"Sounds good." Michael nodded.

The car was silent for a moment and I played with a loose string on the edge of my shirt.

"Michael, thanks for helping today. I didn't know who else to call and I just... Thanks." I said quietly, glancing at him.

Michael nodded, giving me a smile.

"You're part of the family now, Grace, you can thank Wesley for that, and Ryders stick together through whatever drama they have and, most often, act first and ask questions later." Michael told me. "If you ever need someone, you can count on me."

"Thanks." I said softly, crossing my legs.

"Besides, you're the girl who cracked Wesley's shell, you deserve all the attention you want from this family." Michael laughed.

"Cracked his shell?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well yeah, surely you can tell how much different he his since you guys started dating?" Michael frowned.

I shook my head. "I didn't really know him that well before we started dating."

Michael raised his eyebrows in shock as he turned off of the busy road going straight through town.

"Wow." Michael laughed. "I mean he's always been a quiet guy but for the past year or so he really only talked to Marley and they did a ton of inside joke stuff and he was even distancing himself from Mark, probably because he didn't approve of his player ways. But anyways once he met you he's been so much more lively and just... Himself, I dunno."

"Well that's very sweet of you to say." I smiled as he pulled into the driveway. "Again, thank you for today. And thank you for driving me here."

"I mean it is my house." Michael laughed as we got out of the Jeep.

I gave him a smile before jogging ahead of him to get inside.

I ran up to Wesley's room to find him laying on his stomach across his bed, a bored look on his face as he looked at a blank phone screen.

"Boo!" I giggled, jumping onto the bed next to him.

"Grace!" Wesley laughed. "How'd you get here and where have you been all day?"

"Oh my goodness, ridiculously long story. It's exhausting." I sighed, standing up again. "Would you mind if I showered and then explained to you the drama that my day was?"

"Yeah, sure." Wesley laughed as I gave him a kiss.

"Thanks, sexy." I giggled before disappearing into the bathroom.

Nicole had told me that I could explain to Wesley what the almost issue was, as long as he didn't go telling Mark before Nicole had a chance to figure out what to say.

But I felt all gross from my run and wanted to at least be clean before I explained to Wesley the emotional day that I hate.

"Grace!" Wesley exclaimed, bursting into the bathroom as I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair.

"What?" I laughed, washing the shampoo away from my hairline so it wouldn't get into my eyes.

"Where were you today?" Wesley asked harshly.