Chapter 22: Cousins

Chapter 22

"So yeah... Uh you can just put your stuff wherever." My cousin Haley said with a shrug.

"Thanks." I muttered, setting my bag down next to the air mattress on her floor.

"Why are you so tan?" She asked curiously, leaning against the side of her bed.

"I was in the Bahamas with my boyfriend's family for a week." I replied simply, pulling my phone out of my pocket at a new text.

From: Wesley

Logan and Marley. What the f***. You have some MAJOR explaining to do.

My eyes widened but I quickly put my phone away.

"Come on, I think Grandma's here." Haley muttered before quickly turning around to walk out of the room.

We were spending Christmas at my dad's brother's house, and I was stuck in a room with my thirteen year old cousin who was the most boring person on the planet.

"Hey Grandma." I said happily as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Grace! Look at how tan you are!" Grandma laughed, pulling me into a hug.

"She's been in the Bahamas with Adam Ryder's kids." My mother said, a slightly disapproving look on her face.

"Adam Ryder?" Uncle Rob asked in shook, turning to look at my dad. "Like Lewis Ryder's big brother?"

"The one and only." My dad laughed.

"You knew the Ryders?" I asked my Uncle curiously.

"Hell yeah I knew the Ryders." Uncle Rob replied with a laugh, turning to look at me. "Dated Peyton in my senior year of high school and played on the football team with Lewis for a few years."

"Wow." I laughed. "The youngest son is my boyfriend."

"How many did Adam and Jane have?" Uncle Rob asked curiously, glancing at my dad.

"Seven." I replied quickly.

"Wow... I used to think they were so cool for getting married so soon after high school and already starting a family." Uncle Rob laughed. "I think they had their second kid before I graduated."

"Wait you were younger than them?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, Adam was a senior when I was a freshman. Lewis was a year above me and Peyton was a year below me." Uncle Rob replied. "I was at Adam's wedding, wow. I doubt he'll even remember me."

"Of course he'll remember you." My dad laughed.

"Alright enough about the Ryder family!" My mom exclaimed angrily. "I've had enough of them!"

The room grew awkwardly silent.

"I'm with Tracy on that." Aunt Karla spoke up. "I'd rather not discuss your past flings." She gave Uncle Rob a harsh look.

"Haley, Grace, why don't you two show me to the living room and let's catch up." Grandma said suddenly, taking our arms.

Haley and I exchanged looks as we followed our grandmother into the living room.

~*~*~

"Hey." I whispered as the FaceTime call connected.

"Grace. Where the hell have you been all day?" Wesley whispered back, his voice sounding crinkly through my headphones.

"Sorry." I whispered. "Family stuff."

"Well you can tell me about it in a minute, I have had the day from hell." Wesley laughed.