Chapter 17- Crazy

Start from the beginning

Niall appeared with a beanie on his head, a heavy grey jacket, and a scarf. In his right hand was the picnic basket and in his left was another set of winter gear that I assumed was for me.

"Ready?" I asked.

He nodded and followed me out to the lake. It was truly beautiful. The sun was high in the sky making all of the color trees even more vibrant. Together Niall and I managed to get one of our canoes out of the shed beside the lake and into the water. I let him climb in first and then I pushed off and hoped in. 

We rowed in silence for awhile until we were at the very center of the lake. Niall turned around to face me and his eyes roamed my body. 

"Can I ask you something?" He asked timidly.

"Sure." I smiled softly.

"Why do you.... I mean... do you..."

I was silent. I was almost sure I knew what he was trying to say but I wanted him to say it.

"Do you c-care?" He stuttered.

"About you?" I clarified.

He nodded quickly his face turning back to the almost crimson color. 

"Of course I do," I said. "That's why I'm here." I explained.

"Why?"

I glanced out over the water, racking my brain to the right response. I knew that I was fully ready to profess my love to him but I didn't know if he was ready to hear it.

"Because you are my best friend." I finally said.

He was silent.

"My turn." I said loudly, causing him to look up at me. "I have a question for you."

His eyes met mine and I took that as permission to continue.

"What did you think about Monday? You know when we... kissed." 

His face turned an even deeper shade of red making my heart race. He was adorable. "I don't know what I'm supposed to say."

"You're not supposed to saying anything," I said lightly.

"I-" He trailed off.

"Let me make it easier." I said. "Did you like it? Would you let me do it again?" 

I felt awkward asking him these questions and almost wanted to take it back at the sight of his face. But it was too late know.

"Y-Yes." 

"The first one or both?" I asked.

"B-Both." 

I smiled satisfied. "What would you do if I kissed you right now." 

He looked utterly shocked.

As carefully as I could I stood up and stepped towards him. Thankfully I only slightly rocked the canoe with my shift in weight. I sat down on the bar in the center of the canoe.

"You are going to flip it." He stated.

"Then come here." I smirked.

With trembling knees he stood up and reached out for me. I grabbed both of his gloved hands to steady him. He settled down on the floor of the canoe and looked up at me expectantly, like a hungry puppy. His hands still entangled in mine I leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss to his forehead before leaning down ever further and capturing his lips. This time he reacted immediately. He pushed up and nudged my cheek with his nose. My heart went into overdrive. This was going to be the best weekend ever. I pulled away for air and leaned back so I could see his entire face. The nervous look in his eyes seemed to be replaced with pure happiness. He smiled up at me and squeezed my hand. 

"I'm hungry." He said. 

I chuckled and reached for the basket beneath me. Carefully we manged to lay out the blankets on the bottom of the boat and sit so that the only thing between us was the food and the wooden bar. 

"Can we play a game?" He asked just before he bit into his sandwich.

"What game?" 

"20 Questions." He said with a mouthful of food. I smiled and nodded. "You first."

He sat down his sandwich and wiped his hands on his trousers. He didn't seem like the Niall I had become used to anymore. He seemed like the old Niall. Not the bullied one, the one even before that. The Niall I was best friends with.

"Are you still playing footie?" He asked.

"Yeah, I quit for awhile but Monday after school I asked for my spot back." 

He nodded.

I thought for a moment before asking my next question. "Sorry if this brings up bad memories for you, but how did you know you were gay?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I just always knew I was different," 

"Do you know someone can turn gay?" I asked obviously referring to myself.

"I guess." He said. "Are you gay?" He asked with a hint of knowing in his eyes.

"I don't know you tell me." I said and leaned over to kiss him again. 

"Since when?" He asked.

I swallowed hard. "Since you left, I realized that I..." I stopped. "What do you do all day?" I asked completely changing the subject.

"Read usually." He said. "What were you going to say?" He asked with a devious look in his eyes.

I groaned. 

"This might seem a little crazy but I realized that I loved you. That I love you. And not just in the best friends kind of way." I finally admitted.

vote.COMMENT.fan.