Chapter 12- Mockingbird

Harry:

"Harry"

"Louis," I breathed.

"Yeah, sorry you uh forgot your phone." He said. With a trembling hand he held it out to me. I took it and shoved it in my pocket. My hopes slowly sunk into the floor.  "I'm sorry Harry." He said.

"It's not your fault." I said. "I shouldn't have been so sure, come on let's go."

He nodded and took the knife out of my hand then carefully sat it on the counter. Together we walked back out to the front door. Louis stepped out first leaving me to stare back at the empty house. Someone had definitely been living there, but who knows how long they had been. It could've been anyone.

I climbed back into the drivers seat and drove away trying to push away the tears. I was so close. Or so I thought. 

"Harry?" Liam asked.

"Hmm?"

"We will find him." He assured.

I sucked in a quick breath. 

"Really Harry, you know we'd do anything for you." Zayn said.

"Yeah, why don't you talk to your dad, see about any more leads and we will start there first thing tomorrow after school." Louis said.

"Okay." I mumbled. 

They were silent the rest of the ride to school. Turns out we were only 2 hours late. We all had to sign tardy slips but that was the worst that happened. Liam swore he would never be able to get over that fact that he had a tardy on his record. But Zayn and Louis just made fun of him for it.

I wasn't really in the mood for jokes. The school day slipped by pretty quickly since I had missed two classes. I decided to skip footie practice and head home. There really was no point anways. 

Once I was home I waited around impatiently for my dad to get home. Only two more hours. I thought as I tapped my pen against my maths notebook. How could I possibly concentrate on homework at the time like this. I tossed my notebook back into my bag and grabbed my laptop. I logged onto facebook and clicked on Niall's page. 

Pictures, quotes, posts, and memories filled his timeline. I clicked on his profile and smiled. His mum must have changed it recently. It was a picture of Niall and I after the big game. His arm was wrapped around me and his smiling face against my shoulder. I swear his smile could light up the world. I quickly clicked like and then returned to his timeline. I read through some of the post. Recognizing a couple girls from primary school that had moved away, a couple guys from the footie team, some family members and about a million post from people that I knew had never talked to him. I noticed that the most recent post was over a month ago. 

My fingers hesitated against the keys as the words ran through my mind. 'I still care'. I wanted so badly to write it but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I heard the door open and scrambled off my bed.

"Dad!" I shouted.

"What Harry?" He asked as he shrugged off his jacket.

"Do you have an new leads?" I asked.

He sighed and sat down on the couch. I stood above him impatiently awaiting his answer.

"You know I'm not supposed to discuss work with you." He said.

"Dad," I begged. "Please."

"What's going on?" My mum asked coming into the room.

"Well we think we've found something up by Black Lake. He has got to be on the move or something. We've found so many traces of him but nothing solid." He said.