THE CELL CALL

Can the power of the Ouija extend to affect inanimate objects, such as cell phones? J.N. had an experience that makes her think so. It was 2005 when she and a few of her girlfriends sat down with the Ouija "just to experience the phenomenon." The girls were gathered at J.N.'s friend Becka's house in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. It was the first time with the board for all of them.

"Her house was incredibly creepy, and undoubtedly haunted," J.N. says, "so where better than there to start? Diane, Becka, and I were sitting in her living room, preparing the atmosphere. Once candles were lit and moods were set, Diane and I sat on our knees next to a piano bench, fingers on the planchette. Becka refused to touch it, and instead took the role of a 'scribe.' Please take note that we had all turned off our cell phones so that they would not disrupt the atmosphere.

"After speaking to a young girl named Wisty and a man who would not give his name, but instead kept attempting to move the planchette through the alphabet, we decided to stop. Suddenly, my cell phone started to ring. Being a teenager then, I used to have my ringtones all set as song clips. This time however, the phone rang its original tinny tune."

Gripped in fear, J.N. looked to her friends, then picked up her phone from the table. "The phone number listed was not in normal format," J.N. says, "but it was something without hyphens or parentheses, as would be the norm. Shaking, I answered and said, 'Hello.' On the other end, a man began to speak incomprehensibly in a language I did not recognize and could never place.

When I said I was going to hang up, he got very quiet and began to laugh. That was assuredly the last time we used the board at her house."