THE GANGSTER WHO LOVED ME

I grew up in what was considered a "haunted house" that had links to the Mafia in the 1920s and '30s. I have also always had a strange fascination with the Mafia and never knew why.

I remember one of the spirits I saw as a child was a tall, young man wearing a long overcoat and fedora. When I was 17, I found out what this was all about.

My best friend's neighborhood was having a garage sale. There was one house that I went back to twice because I wanted a book that they had. On my second trip back, I noticed this old Ouija board on a table. I thought, "Now how did I miss that before?" It had no price, so I asked the women who were having the sale how much they wanted for it. They were absolutely dumbfounded because they couldn't figure out who the board belonged to. They did not remember putting it in their sale and it didn't belong to either of them. They said, "How about $1?" I took it. (At that time I had a male friend who was a self-proclaimed witch. He told me that someone wanted to contact me and that's why I found the Ouija.)

My friends and I playing with it and asked it silly questions. We each figured that the other was pushing the planchette around the board. We were just having fun.

One night, about a month later, something amazing happened. My friends Christi and Sara and I were in my bedroom playing the Ouija when all of a sudden the planchette began to move with an inhuman force. It spelled out: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, then pointed at me. It pointed at Christi and spelled out: MAKE GO AWAY... SHE WITH HER. It pointed at Sara and spelled out: TALK. Sara took Christi's place. The spirit said: GK WAS WITH HER. (We later figured out that this must be her mother, who committed suicide and who had those initials).

The spirit said that he went by G.T. He was 18 years old and lived as a gangster in Chicago in the 1920s. He told us the most amazing story about how he was framed and murdered. He apparently was approached to kill a member of their mob family. Although he turned down the job, word got out that he was asked. His best friend is the one that revealed the info to the man that was supposed to be killed. This man hired a hit man that went by the name of "Fader." Fader shot G.T. once in the back and once in the chest as he turned around. He died on a Chicago street in 1925.

He told us that he used egg whites to slick his hair back, and that he loved jazz. His favorite jazz artist was a local named K.D. Johnson. He was in love with a young woman named Stephanie. My hair looked similar to hers, he said. He saw me and that's why he came through. That's why he told me I was beautiful. He also said he has seen me before (I am not sure, but he may be the young man I used to see as a child).

I didn't quite believe in it all yet. I just thought I had a brilliant screenplay on my hands. It was going on 10:15 p.m. that evening and we had been talking to this spirit for nearly two hours. It was just like having an invisible friend in the room.

In the middle of the conversation, the planchette jerked and began pointing to Sara. It spelled out: GO HOME NOW and went to GOODBYE. After that there was nothing. It was a Friday night and Sara had a midnight curfew. She didn't want to go home at 10! It kind of freaked us out though, so just to be safe she went home.

That night, I got a call at 1:00 a.m. It was a very shaken Sara. She explained to me that her sister had to call the police -- there were people out in the driveway breaking into their cars. It was a bunch of crack addicts breaking into cars and stealing stuff for drug money. They were high and had knives and guns. Her sister looked at the time right before she called the police. It was 12:09 a.m. It takes roughly 10 minutes to get from my house to Sara's. She would have been pulling into the driveway when these drugged up lunatics were breaking into cars.

That's the night I started believing in the Ouija. I never believed anyone but G.T. I talked to him frequently for quite a few years. He said a lot of little things that came true: stuff about jobs and financial matters, etc. He once told me that the future was something that really couldn't be predicted. There are some certainties that are written in everyone's lives, but nothing is certain. The future is constantly changing.

We "lost contact," so to speak, a few years ago. His last wish was that I somehow get his story known to the public, whether I write a book or a screenplay. His last prediction for me was this: YOU WILL MARRY A MAN IN LOS ANGELES. Funny thing is... I am soon moving to L.A. ~ Melissa C.