SEVATU

About 20 years ago, my friend and I decided to start playing around with the Ouija board I received for Christmas. In the interest of fair play, we did it as the box suggested, sitting on chairs facing each other with the board on our knees. We closed our eyes and had my sister act as secretary, recording each letter. (My sister was about 13 and was not making anything up, as different friends also "stood in" for her when she wasn't around.)

Within minutes, we began to receive sentences that made sense. Eventually, the board told us we were communicating with someone named "Sevatu." He said he was an Incan warrior and that he wanted to talk to us. My friend and I became "addicted" to this "game," and for weeks we would sit in my room, light incense, smoke cigarettes and have sessions.

Sevatu would tell us jokes and ask us questions. After a few weeks, the nature of the messages changed: they became somewhat intimate, menacing and rude. One night, Sevatu told us he wanted us to "come away" with him. During that same session, the pointer flew out of our hands and hit the wall. At that point, we got freaked out and decided to put the Ouija away for a while.

I began having nightmares and so did my friend. I took to sleeping with a crucifix on and a Bible in bed with me. I began to fear the Ouija board, and my friend said she would take it to her boyfriend's house because he wanted to mess around with it.

She was driving out to his house with the board on the seat beside her and her car began to smoke and stalled on a dirt road. She got out of the car and threw the Ouija board into a cornfield, got back in the car. It started, and she drove safely to his house. I was very fearful for about a year or so afterward that I was being "haunted," but eventually the fear went away. I have never again touched a Ouija and do not intend to. ~Crow