Chapter Fifty-Six- Epilogue

Yes, I re-posted this chapter. I edited this epilogue because I was not happy with the last one.

The next and final book, Embers, has been posted. Please don't forget to join Emma and Willow on their final adventures with their family.

Thank you so much for all the support you gave me and Nevermore in this series, on this book especially. This was the best book I've ever written, thanks to that. 

And most of all, Happy New Year.

Lots of Love, 

~Lizardgurl

December 31, 2019. 23:30.

Watchtower.

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind? Should old acquaintance be forgot, and old lang syne?

Fifteen years ago, if you told me I'd be standing in a top-secret base belonging to the Justice League and their not-sidekicks, I would have believed you.

I would have believed you, but after a while, I would have grown up. I would have outgrown a patched red cape and a silly, childish game. I would have grown up, gone to school, made friends, gone on dates, spent late nights talking with my mother, planned for a future career, normal girl things.

Sadly, there's not much time for normal-girl-things when you're busy saving the world every day.

"Those are your grandparents, Orion," I whispered to my little baby boy, holding the birthday present from my adopted parents. It was hologram of my mother, father, and older brother, calibrated by Richard.

If he were here now, Royston would still tower over me, just like Roy. He'd mess my blonde-brown hair and tease me about the brand spanking new ID card tucked in my jacket pocket. The card that certified my membership in a group of the world's greatest heroes: The Justice League. Hardly an hour ago I touched it for the first time, and I didn't know whether to feel excited or scared.

"Change is good," I reminded myself, looking down at Orion, snuggled against my chest for warmth. With all the strength of a two-week-old, he batted his hand at the 3-D image of my original family.

"I promise I'll teach you all about them," I whispered to my son. "I don't know very much, but I'll teach you everything I remember. I won't let you forget too, because forgetting is a terrible thing."

He yawned, showing off toothless gums and blinking round, violet eyes. After another yawn, I kissed his forehead and set him down to rest in the porta-crib. Tonight was the League induction party, but Connor and I couldn't leave him behind.

Connor himself watched from the doorway, a small square of light that stopped halfway into the tiny room.

"You good?" He asked. I looked over my shoulder at the silent crib, and that seemed to answer.

"He's on a satellite surrounded by the most powerful people on the planet. No one will be able to touch him." He reminded me. "You just joined the Justice League. The Justice League. Along with some of your best friends, you need a chance to celebrate."

Celebrate. It felt like such a strange word. Part of me held back, a part sick with guilt and convinced that I didn't deserve to celebrate with so many people who had overcome so much suffering, much of which had been caused by me. Still another part fought back as Connor took my hand. There was still some good in this world- Orion came to mind- and it did deserve to be celebrated.

"It's your party too," I reminded him with a grin, tapping the shirt pocket that held his honorary passcard. My husband, I was proud to say, had just become the Justice League's Central Operations Coordinator. He'd get to stay in the Watchtower, providing tech support to help my friends and me save the world.