Chapter Fifty-Five- My Sunshine

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:

What do you think Willow's kid will be like? Boy? Girl? Powers?

December 12, 2019. 18:57.
Nightvale.
~~Willow~~

I was so grateful that Connor was with me when it happened.

We were just sitting down to dinner when it happened. Because of my condition, Mr. Grace had weekly delivered several "freezer meals" l that we could reheat. He did it even before I was pregnant, since I usually ended up burning everything. Connor was the better cook, but not by much, which is why we were grateful to be living in my rebuilt childhood home across the street from his parents.

Tonight's meal was taco salad. Not exactly a German recipe, but Mr. Grace was very good at it nonetheless.

"What is it, Scar?"

"What's what?" I asked with a yawn.

"You haven't eaten anything." He said, comparing my plate, where I had eaten exactly one leaf of lettuce, to his half-eaten meal. He gave a jolt in his seat. "Is it the baby?"

"No, Connor, it's not the baby." I leaned back in my chair. "I just don't feel hungry tonight."

"See there, that's what's wrong. Ember, I know you're pregnant, but you need to eat something or your metabolism is going to consume you.

The due date was still a few months away, but something told me the baby would come whether they were on schedule or not, and there wouldn't be anything we could do about it.

"Alright, alright." I gave in, plucking a feather out of a particularly itchy spot in my shirt sleeve and picking up my fork, managing to stomach a small mouthful of lettuce and un-spiced meat. Spices in particular seemed to set off my nausea, so Mr. and Mrs. Grace had been careful to avoid those.

I managed to eat half my dinner, which wasn't quite good enough for Connor, but he let it slide. He knew that I was in a better mood than I usually was, and he didn't want to ruin it. I didn't want to be in a bad mood either, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't fly, I couldn't fight, it was like being grounded.

At least it would all be worth it.

When Olivia had been born, everything felt renewed and happier, just the thought of a superhero having a family was something to think about, eventually inspiring The Flash to have a family of his own.

I moped for a minute, thinking about Barry Allen. I knew that Bridget had said it wasn't my fault, but there must have been something that I could have done to help.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked. Connor was leaning against the sink, looking at me while he washed our dinner dishes.

"Your metagene." he said. His research was beginning to surpass Doctor Wilcox's, of which I was boastfully proud. Connor had much more humane tactics of any other scientist I knew, especially Luthor.

"You have a heightened metabolism, like Wally and his cousins." He was reading my thoughts again. "I've been wondering...Don, Dawn, and Iris were all born early, and it might be the speed factor has more of a role here, but if the baby has your metabolism, would it come early too?"

I'd never thought about it before. I was constantly afraid that my son or my daughter would have a Pyro, but whether they would have my wings or my enhanced senses had never occurred to me.

Connor could tell I didn't want to talk about it. "So, do you still think it'll be a boy?"

"Do you still think it'll be a girl?" I teased him back, grabbing a towel to help dry.