Chapter Thirty-Six- Wild Card

Wow, nearly all the comments on that last chapter were in caps lock :) They were fun to read!

June 3, 2018. 13:45.

Apokalips

~~Willow~~

"Ah, Lex." I squared my shoulders back. "So good to see you, but, unfortunately, I hate you, so." I shrugged, letting my wings stretch out to expand to their full length.

"What do you want?" Emma pulled out her staff, sounding bored with all the bad guys already.

I smirked. "I'll bet you five bucks they want us dead." I said, mostly to her, folding my arms.

Luthor's charismatic smile was strained. "Charming to the last, the both of you."

"Actually, Wildfire, you're wrong." Savage stepped forward, explaining in a patient voice. "As much as Manta wants Nightingale's head on a spike, he does not represent the entire Light on that subject."

Dismissively, Emma rolled her eyes. She'd dealt with worse than Black Manta.

I snarled at big-bad criminal mastermind behind the Light, feeling my hands heat up with fire. "Hey, hey. Come on. If you're going to be a threatening towards me and my friend, pronounce my name right. It's "Phoenix" you fools."

Luthor, shook his head, like he was scolding a small child. "We still need Pyro, and dear old whatever-it-is-that-we're-going-to-call-Nightingale's-demon, for phase three."

My hands grew cold. "Pardon?" My fire disappeared, gusto gone.

Darkseid, who had been silently observing this whole time, nodded to Desaad. I turned Emma, gripping her shoulders so that she faced me.

"Nightingale, what are they talking about?"

Emma was pale, more so than usual. Her eyes were locked on Desaad as the malformed scientist held up a darker-looking version of my Mother Box which was stolen by Wally.

Father Box.

Desaad held up Father Box proudly, pointing it at Emma with a pleasureful grin.

It dinged, a hollow sound that echoed through the chamber. At the same time, Emma collapsed on the floor like limp, wet rag.

"Nightingale!" I screamed, bending down at her side. She began to convulse violently, stiffly shaking with her mouth locked in a scream, but no noise came out.

"Emma?" I tried to get a reply from her, tried to hold her still, but nothing I could do worked. She curled in a ball, back arched, and wings spread to their full length, looking even more splendid than when I first laid eyes on them, a beautiful green and gold.

"We'd use "the device," but Father Box is much quicker and efficient." Luthor explained from across the room, casually mocking me and my friend.

I glared at him, remembering the huge metal helmet that they'd used to wipe my mind and turn me back into Pyro. Father Box was doing the same thing to Emma.

I spun around, spreading my wings to create a barrier between the villains and my best friend. I would defend her to the death if I had to.

Pyro.

"Oh no." I gasped.

I turned back to Emma, but it was too late. It was like a giant, dark shadow has covered her, and only her, completely. She was completely black, as dark as the night sky, except for the muscle in her wings, which was a deep crimson red, just like Pyro's eyes.