Chapter Seven- Found

March 12, 2015
Nightvale
~~Willow~~

"Professor Blink, can I please talk with you?"

"If it's about the legend of the Ever Stone, I've told you, I can tell you nothing more of it. I'm not an expert on it, and it's a very recently discovered artifact." Professor Blink recited like a well-practiced speech. Ever since he'd told us the story in class to get our attention on MPD, I stayed after to ask him questions. He'd quickly gotten annoyed with this routine, and I knew it. But I had to find out about my powers, no matter how annoying I had to get. 

What Blink did know wasn't much. He did know that though the expedition that discovered the stone had succeeded over a decade ago, they only released the information last November-- just a few months after I "ran away," so to speak. Other than what he told us about the legend, there wasn't much else. I even had Connor and his dad help me look it up on the Lexcorp website, so that I wouldn't be tracked.

I sighed in defeat. "Thanks anyway, sir, for all your help." Disappointed, I walked out into the hall.

"You okay, Scar?" Connor asked, taking my hand and taking me by surprise.

"I guess." I wiped my glasses with the end of my coat sleeve before adjusting my backpack in front of me so I could sort out my papers and such while we walked to the lab.

Connor blew a few bangs out of his eyes, making my heart flutter.

"So...mind telling me why you're so anxious about this whole Legend of the Five Sisters thing?" He asked, helping me settle my backpack back on my shoulders.

I did want to tell him, at least a little bit. But by then, we had reached the labs, and the chattering of all the students inside told me we clearly would not have the privacy this sensitive matter required.

"I'll tell you later, I promised.

Connor got the hint. He knew I would tell him, no matter what.

"Good morning, class!" Doctor Ernest exclaimed. "Before we get started on our semester projects, I have an exciting announcement to make!"

The mad scramble for goggles, gloves, lab aprons, and other supplies was halted, and everyone headed back to their seats.

"Now, I am very sure that all of you have heard of S.T.A.R. Labs' Erdel Initiative down in Taos, New Mexico..." I forced myself to calm down. This was probably another one of Ernest's field trip ideas. We'd been to the main S.T.A.R. Labs base last semester.

My class full of nerds was as excited as a group of cheerleaders at the salon. I would know, M'gann had invited me and Zatanna along once.

"...and today, we will have the honor of meeting a few of the top scientists at the initiative!" Doctor Karasack beamed at us with perfect white teeth.

Wait, what!?!?

My classmates began to whisper among each other excitedly, and Connor was distracted by the guy on his other side as Doctor Ernest walked over to the door leading to her office.

"Students of N.I.T, I am pleased to introduce you to to Doctor Wilcox, Doctor Dorado, and Doctor Strange of S.T.A.R. Lab's Erdel Initiative!" She opened the door, too late for me to run. Doctor Wilcox waved to the applauding students, and Doctor Dorado nodded at them.

Doctor Adam Strange looked right at me.

"Willow?" His mouth formed the word that was my name, but I couldn't hear it over the polite applause.

My heart began to beat faster. Connor, like our classmates, was too excited by the three famous scientists to notice me.

Taking the distraction, I ran out of the classroom.

-------

"Willow? Will, come on, it's just me!"

I was hiding in the girl's bathroom down the hall.

"What is it?" I asked nervously.

Abby Cary, one of my new college friends, answered. "Connor sent me to see if you were okay. Are you?"

I took a deep breath. "Yeah, I just felt really sick."

"Oh." Abby sounded relieved. "Are you feeling better now? I think Doctor Wilcox is still here!"

"What about Strange and Dorado?" I asked quickly.

Abby was quiet for a moment, thinking. "They both left after just a little bit. They had some work to do."

I tried to cover my relief with disappointment. "Dang it."

I flushed the toilet and walked out of the stall.

"Did you get to talk to Strange and Dorado?" I asked as Abby took my arm, leading me down the hall back to the lab.

"Yes, they were both very nice!" Abby beamed, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "Did you know that Doctor Dorado created a means of instant transportation from one place to another?" She squealed.

I smiled at her patiently. "Yes, yes I do."

"Doctor Strange works with him. Oh my gosh he is cute!" She squealed.

I rolled my eyes, but continued to smile. I didn't think this was the right time to mention that Doctor Strange had a crush on an alien from another planet.

I resumed my spot next to Connor as Doctor Wilcox continued to answer questions from my classmates.

Connor squeezed my hand. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Now I am. Too bad I missed Strange and Dorado, though." I feigned disappointment.

"Any more questions?" Ernest asked when the hand-raising stopped. "Well, Doctor Wilcox has another exciting announcement for all of you."

Doctor Wilcox beamed at all of us, energetically agreeing with my teacher. All I could see was the scientist who held six children in a laboratory against their will last spring.

No way was I going to forgive him for that. I doubted Tammy and Terra would too.

"S.T.A.R. Labs is currently looking for promising young college students to enroll in it's internship program, funded  by Wayne Tech. and Queen Inc. Those who do well in this program can be assured a place among myself and my colleagues at Erdel Initiative." Wilcox stated proudly, puffing out his chest and gripping the lapels on his pristine white labcoat.

The excited chatter overtook the room again. I stayed still in my seat, gripping my arms tightly. This was quite similar to the speech he'd given at Star City University when I was nineteen, back when I had more respect for him.

"Do you hear that, Willow?" Connor took my hand, and I pretended to be ecstatic.

"Do you think either of us could be chosen?" I asked honestly.

"Of course you could, you're the best in the class!" He exclaimed. "Don't tell me you're really just this excited, you love S.T.A.R. Labs!" Connor elbowed me teasingly. I elbowed him back in the same manner to keep from having to answer.

Honestly, I didn't know whether to be excited or scared.

Pyro summed it up pretty well:

"Were doomed."

I'd been found.

Uh-oh, things aren't looking too good for Willow, are they? :3

YES! I ACTUALLY MANAGED TO FINISH THIS CHAPTER TODAY!!! :D :D