Chapter Sixteen- Return

November 30, 2016. 00:36
Wayne Manor, Gotham City.
~~Emma~~

"You're alive!"

"You're alive, you're alive, you're alive!"

The rest of us don't have to say it, because Mara is unable to stop repeating the phrase.

Everyone was now gathered in the manor's kitchen, which was clean until a couple minutes beforehand when we dragged in rainwater and my half-concious twin brother. But Alfred doesn't seem to mind. Like the rest of us, he just seems happy to see Rick alive after over a year with no contact.

He was wrapped in a fuzzy red blanket, which covered most of his Nightwing costume should a civilian reporter happened to poke their head in the window, and held a cup of homemade hot chocolate in one hand and a cup of chicken noodle soup rested on the island countertop close by. Alfred made him take alternating sips of each every two minutes while he bandaged Richard's wounds.

"What happened to you?" I whispered, clutching his hand like a lifeline. He had dozens of bruises on his chest and arms, and his left wrist was broken. His ankle was twisted and he hadn't shaved- or showered -in what smelled like weeks. And that was just the least of it.

Tim, Mara and her friends sat lined up on the other side of the counter, facing me and Rick. Bruce stood behind them, leaning against the microwave. The hint of popcorn reached my nose, and I nearly blanched. Was I really sitting at this very island with Wally a year ago, a ring box in his hand and begging in his eyes?

I shoved it down and looked at Rick, waiting for an answer.

He took a long sip of hot chocolate, and chewed on a chunk of potato for a while, before he looked back at me.

"It's a...long story."

The girls groaned at the cliche statement.

"Rick, we've got time." Tim said. "You've been practically lost for a year and a half. None of us are going to bed anytime soon." Self-satisfied, Robin took a sip from his own mug of chocolate.

Rick sighed, and clutched the mug in his bad hand for warmth. I squeezed his good hand, urging him to start.

"You asked for it." He said, avoiding Bruce's gaze. "I've been doing my own work, doing background checks on the Light. Trying..." He looked ashamed of himself, "Trying to find out exactly what happened to Wally."

Bridget turned pale, and Tammy and Sarah pressed closer to her for support.

"Rick-" Mara started.

"I know, I know!" Rick snapped uncharacteristically. He stood up, making Alfred back up a step. "But just because he disappeared doesn't guarantee that he's dead!"

Everyone was quiet, and Mara stared into her mug dejectedly.

"Sorry," Rick apologized softly, slowly sitting down, "It's just...I just-"

"We know." I told him, rubbing his back. "I know." He'd been going crazy about Wally the same way that I had about Willow. Without looking up, he slowly took my hand in his good one and squeezed it hard.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, eyes shut tight. "I'm sorry I left, Emma."

"I'm sorry I was so oppressive." I muttered back.

Suddenly, someone put an arm around me and their other arm around Richard. I looked up to see Bruce hugging me and my twin.

"I'm sorry I couldn't take better care of both of you." He said.