Chapter Five- Sisters

February 19, 2017. 07:12
Nightvale
~~Willow~~

"I will be there beside you through the lonely nights that fall.
So close your eyes, remember my embrace
I will be like mercy; I will find you through it all
This do I swear, I will be there."

I was well aware of my goofy, lovestruck smile as I closed my music box and reopened it, starting the song over again.

"Scar!" There came a gentle tapping at my door. "Dad made us lunches, and there's some cinnamon rolls for breakfast!"

Anyone who wanted to miss out on Mr. Grace's cinnamon rolls was a fool, and a crazy one at that. I put the music box necklace around my neck, grabbed my bookbag, and walked downstairs with Connor, hand-in hand.

We each put our lunchboxes, so lovingly packed by Mr. Grace, in our, and took two cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I kissed Mr. Grace on the cheek in thanks.

"Bye mum, bye dad!" Connor called over his shoulder as we stepped out into the overcast morning in Nightvale.

We rode his gray Honda to the campusof N.T.I, me with my windows down the whole way. The cold never really bothered me, what with my powers and all, and Connor was just a naturally warm person. I plugged in his phone- I was in the process of getting a new one at the time -and we listened to Port Blue and the Piano Guys with the volume up. Not too loud though, just because I'd stopped using my fire powers didn't mean they and my super-heightened senses went away. And even though my eyes were scarred, my glasses made it possible to see Connor staring at me like a goofball whenever we were stopped at a light.

Our first class of the day was Psychology. Luckily, we had a parking spot right outside the building where the class was held. The classroom itself reminded me of the way that Professor Trelawney's classroom was set up in "The Prisoner of Azkaban" movie. Sort of like an amphitheater, with brown, warm-colored desks and red velvet cushions on the seats. The rows were built up on each other, circling the teacher's "Preaching ground" and desk, so we could all look down and see him. Easily my favorite classroom. Connor and I had our seats in the second row, between a couple of our friends. As always, we were the first ones there, so we had time to review our notes from yesterday in peace, since Professor Blink (his real name, no joke) was very fond of pop quizzes.

Of course, when the clock struck nine, Professor Blink walked into the classroom wearing his semi-professional air. A crown of messy white hair, lopsided glasses, and a rumpled tweed jacket with matching pants.

"Good morning class." the professor rarely had to raise his voice, since everyone learned early on that you were quiet or you didn't get to learn in his class.

"Good morning, Professor Blink." We all chorused. I gave my pen a few clicks and scribbled it on the margin of my page to make sure it had enough ink.

"Today, we will be studying the fascinating concept of MPD, Multiple Personality Disorder."

I tried my best to hide my interest, but I ended up standing up straighter in my seat. Connor snorted quietly, and I discreetly stuck my tongue out at him. I hadn't told him about my powers, about Wildfire, about...Pyro.

If anyone was interested in this MPD lesson, I was. Maybe it would give me some hints on how to keep Pyro in check, as well as my nightmares.

I turned to a fresh sheet of paper in my notebook, one without scribbles in the margins, and leaned forward in my seat.

"Today, we know that the origins of Multiple Personality Disorder are purely scientific, but I thought it might be interesting to see how those thousands of years ago perceived MPD." Professor Blink crossed over to the projector and turned it on. A picture of cave drawings appeared on the screen as he turned off the lights so that we could all see it better.