Chapter Twenty-Nine- Hope.

June 1, 2018. 08:59.

Watchtower

~~Emma~~

"Are you ready for this, Wil- Phoenix?" I turned to my best friend, taking in her wings in all their splendor.

Willow folded and extended her wings repeatedly with excitement. "Oh, more than ready!" She assured me

"Then let's get started!" I cracked my knuckles. It was the day after our mission to Lexcorp, and Willow was in dire need of a flying lesson. After she taught me how to use my powers all those years ago, I could finally return the favor.

"So, do I just jump off a cliff and let instinct teach me?" Willow asked, sounding excited at the thought.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Would you like to try it that way? That was part of Shayera's original training regimen, but I was gonna leave that part out..." I trailed off. That had been my least favorite part of flying lessons, especially when they came unexpectedly.

Willow looked at me like a playfully eager puppy, bouncing on the balls of her feet and clasping her hands in front of her. "Yes!"

"Okay then." I chuckled at my friend, and turned on the zeta-tube computer. "Shayera and I used Mount Justice, but...we're kind of going to have to find somewhere else." I winced at the memory of watching the mountain explode.

Willow peered over my shoulder as she watched possible training locations scroll past. "I want to jump off of Mount Everest"

"No." I told her adamantly.

"Pikes Peak?"

"No!" I slapped my forehead. "I was thinking somewhere like the Appalachains, they're really cool at this time of year."

"Wow, really?" Willow asked

"Yes, now come on!" I grabbed her hand and pulled her into the glowing tubes. With the computer announcing our familiar designations, we appeared in sunny, summery, mild Virginia.

Willow barely took in the spectacular display of greenery in the rural setting before she raised both fists in the air with a shout of; "LETS GO FLING OURSELVES OFF OF CLIFFS!"

I laughed at her. "Alright, if you think you're up for it..." I teased.

Instinctively, Willow's wings began to flap up and down wildly, not lifting her off the ground. "YESSSS!"

"Okay." I shrugged nonchalantly. "Race you to the top of the mountain!" I leapt into the air, pushing my wings as fast as they could go. I looked back, seeing Willow face-down on the ground.

"Come on, I know you can do better than that!" I called back down to her. I'm pretty sure she glared up at me for seeing her humiliated in such a way before I turned around and headed to the top of the mountain to wait.

Slowly but surely, Willow made her way up the mountain. Sometimes flying, sometimes walking through the trees, careful to hide from hikers who might spot her wings.

I sat, relaxed on the top of the mountain, playing with a bit of grass when she reached me half an hour later. "Clearly, we have a lot to work on."

Willow dropped to the ground and sprawled on the soft green grass, rolling on her back to stare up at the cloudless blue sky.

"Ready to jump off a cliff?" I stood over Willow, casting a shadow across her face.

A spark lit up her eyes as she jumped to her feet. "YES!" She squealed.

I pointed behind her. "Hundred-foot cliff drop thataway."

"Bring it on!" Willow spread her wings and charged at the cliff's edge.