Chapter 59

She felt tired and did not wanted to tell him again to get off...

he took off his clothes and embraced her tightly in his arms, never letting her go away.

Slowly he turned off the little lamp...

"I want to sleep" she got up and put on her gown while Veer wasn't happy with her cold response

"You are definitely ZERO on the scale of tomato to ketchup" he took over the sheet and slept...

Sometimes the best and worst times of your life can coincide.

It is a talent of the soul to discover the joy in pain, thinking of moments you long for, and knowing you'll never have them again.

The ghosts of our past haunt us, and yet we still can't decide if the pain they caused us outweighs the tender moments when they touched our soul. This is the irony of love.

She remembered in the ashram she was told "The forces that we deal with have two sides. One is good and helpful and the other is dark and dangerous. Part of your training is to learn to distinguish between them and , know when to use which"

-------------------------

It was almost midnight...she was thirsty...

She entered the kitchen when a sharp gleam captured her attention.

"Unusual, I...I don't remember leaving the knife out", she asked herself peering around in doubt, "I...I must have kept while cutting the vegetables"

Suddenly, night engulfed the house, shrouding the kitchen. Her stomach tightened as her eyes adjusted.

Waves of cold overtook her spine forcing convulsions of heat from the top of her head.

There was no light. Hoping that the fuse had blown she glided over and hit the switch on the wall, banishing the shadows, confirming her fears.

She heard little sounds...She clutched her body.

"Who's there?" heard a laughter. "Who's there?" with little courage she spoke aloud "I know you're in there!" her lips quivered. She didn't heard any noise after that.

Darkness again befell the kitchen, speeding the drumming in her chest. She reached out and grabbed the glass to fill it with water.

A prayer floated across her mind. "Please let there be a signal. Please God, anything for a signal." Silence. Night was sealed out, she was sealed in.

The pounding on the door was drowned out by the wild thumping of her heart, bursting her ears in an erratic rhythm. She gulped the water and brine filled her nostrils and the familiar salt of tears saturated her tongue. The feeling of water brought her image to the front of her mind. "Salt!!"She coughed.

She scouted a pathway, as if in a foreign jungle, through the lightless house. Silence stabbed at her ear drums, forcing the hair to stand on end, alert to any sound.

She guided herself into the shadow of Maneka's room. Glancing about she noticed no movement in the exorbitant darkness.

Her shoe's heel crossed into the room and far away in the forest some little sound mourned as of torment.

She became a shaking statue and a shed tear brushed across her cheek. She locked her lips together, fearing any utterance might attract whoever was playing death's song.

She walked towards the kitchen knowing her only chance was to be inside her room.

Betrayed by the steps towards the kitchen. Her neck directed abnormally soiled sapphires into the darkness following the sound of heavy breathing and the splashing of tears upon the wooden stairs outside the cottage.

Her footsteps were taken in a pace that made them indistinguishable from one another. As she arrived at the kitchen the window freeze-framed a horror scene.

Skeletal patches of exposed flesh carved around blazing rubies devastating any signs of remaining humanity in an immense conflagration were highlighted in the diffused lighting of the vengeful window.

She would fell any minute as her heart beat so quickly.

She was alone, surrounded by the terrors of the dark. Instinctively she tried the switch, but the only light came from that knife. A metallic scraping sounded from the latch on the other side of the wooden door.

In her mind she knew screaming was useless, Nonetheless, her voice echoed until she became incapable.

She took quick breaths, her body quaking with fear as it conformed to the cruel walls, her eyes failing to add to the pool that had collected on the window in front of her.

Her neck craned as she searched the infinite depths of the shadows, that knife seems longing for a drink.

The darkness whispered to her, emptying its conscience of the horrors it has stood idly by and witnessed.

The blade watched in an anxious still. Her imagination was unleashed in the terrifying darkness.

Brutalities scarcely witnessed by the living came upon the tides slowly eroding her mind.

Her blood raced, beating the sound of a sacrifice against her temples.

Her spine snapped in the sudden uproar of winter.

Ice formed across her hands, and her eyes became frozen, fixated upon the gleam of light radiating from that sinful blade, waiting for its thirst to be quenched.

Something crept through the cool night air and spoke its wisdom on death and mourning. Silence took its throne once more.

Veer felt a sensation as if "being embraced" in a loving manner, by an unseen force

He did not open his eyes.

He felt enormous pleasure in that embrace

Sharp shadow roamed around the room. The storm raged the night.

Next Morning

He found Chandni sleeping peacefully next to him.

--------------------------------