Ch. 56 Going Home

When we got to Virginia, we rented a car and drove to our house in D.C.

Jake and Adam took our things inside.

"Bridget? You coming?" Jake called.

"In a minute," I called back. I went around back and looked at our garden. It was in full bloom. The fountain was going. It looked beautiful.

I walked over and sat on the edge. I put a hand in the water and smiled.

Jake and I had our first kiss on that fountain. It was such a beautiful place. I loved sitting there. I wished I had a book to read, because that would have been the perfect setting for reading. It was inspiring, enchanting.

"I thought I'd find you out here," Jake spoke. He walked over. "You okay?"

I nodded.

"Is the baby okay?"

I looked down at my stomach. I hadn't realized I was holding it. "Yeah."

He sat with me. "Reminiscing?"

I nodded.

We were quiet.

"Don't you have a meeting to get to?"

He nodded. "Are you going to the hospital?"

I nodded.

"Then, go put scrubs on. Adam and I will meet you in the car."

I nodded.

He gave me a sweet kiss and went out front.

I went inside and went to our room. I changed into a pair of scrubs I had in my drawer. I put my lab coat on. Then, I slipped a pair of tennis shoes on and went to the car.

Jake sat in the back, holding a coffee. He handed it to me. "Drink it."

I took a drink and smiled. Just the way I liked it.

We dropped Jake off first, then we went to the hospital.

I went in and went to the Chief's office. I knocked.

"Come in!" he called.

I opened the door. "Chief?"

He looked up. A huge smile spread across his face. "Dr. Hamilton, wow. What are you doing here?"

"Jake had to go to the base, so I thought I'd come in, see if I could lend a hand."

"Yes, of course. First, come and sit. Tell me about your research."

I sat and told him everything.

"Wow. I can't believe it."

"I can't either."

"So what else have I missed?"

"I'm letting my grandfather run my lumber company."

"Why? You worked so hard to find a balance."