Ch. 32 Trial and Truth

After I changed my clothes, I went to watch Jake's surgery. I needed to be as close to him as possible. I needed to see his heartbeat on the monitor. I needed to know he was alive.

When I got there, they were still working.

Dr. Michaels went into the operating room. "I just finished with Dr. Malone. How's James?"

"Hanging in there. This kid's a fighter," Dr. Hart spoke.

"Makes you wonder what he went through overseas," Dr. Jenkins spoke.

"It's insane. He makes it through four deployments, comes home, finds a girl, and goes through hell time and time again trying to fight for a life that keeps trying to crumble around him," Dr. Michaels spoke.

"It's a good thing his mom and fiancé are surgeons. This boy needs all the help he can get," Dr. Jenkins spoke.

I got my phone out and rang Hawk.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Bridget."

"Oh, hey. How's Sgt. Major doing?"

"He's in surgery. Something happened. Anyway, I think-I think you need to come," I spoke barely above a whisper.

"Bridget, he'll be fine. You know him."

Kelly glanced at me.

"I do know him, so I know that if he dies without one of his best friends here, it's not going to be pretty."

"Okay. I'm on my way. I'll text you when I get there."

"Okay." I hung up and looked at Kelly.

She wasn't crying at all. She took my hand. "Bridget, he's going to be okay. He's got too much going for him to give up now."

I nodded.

When Hawk got there, I met her in the waiting area. We got cups of coffee as I filled her in on what happened.

She listened carefully, nodding and trying to follow along.

Kelly met us on the stairwell.

I froze.

"He's fine. He's in post-op recovery. They'll bring him to a new room. This time, on the cardio floor."

I nodded.

"Go clock out. I'll fill Peter in and meet you in the cardio wing."

I nodded.

Hawk and I walked to the locker room, where I clocked in. I led her to cardio.

Jake wasn't in his room, so she waited at the nurses' station.

I checked in the patients I had in the wing, then I went sat with Hawk and waited.

When they brought him down, Dr. Taylor came to the nurses' station with Dr. Hart.

"He's going to be just fine. We'll monitor him overnight and see how he does for the next day or so."

The Chief came over. "Dr. Malone-"

"Wait. Is he in a private room?"

"No. Is he supposed to be in one?" Dr. Taylor asked.

"I want him in one. We're not having a repeat of this," I spoke.

Dr. Hart looked at Dr. Taylor. "You heard her. Go move him."

I looked at the Chief. "Sir?"

"Does he want to sue?" he asked.

"He didn't really have time to tell me, sir. I don't think so, though."