These Hands

(These Hands, Hank Snow.)

August 2nd

The shrill beeping of the alarm clock broke the peaceful silence of Con's bedroom.

"Shut it-" She grumbled, thrashing around in her bed, her hand finally found contact with the alarm clock. She collapsed back against her pillows, briefly closing her eyes.

The door burst open, revealing Libby standing in a pair of joggers and tank top, "I heard you're alarm go off, don't even pretend."

Con gave a rude reply into her pillow and pulled her blanket over her head.

Libby laughed and walked further into the room, tugging the comforter off of Con's body. "Get up, I made french toast."

Con rolled off the bed and pushed Libby out of her room while she got dressed. Ten minutes later she was tucking into a plate of Libby's homemade french toast.

"Hey," Joel slid into the seat next to her and grabbing a forkful of her food, "Is there more food left?"

"You've already eaten like a dozen pieces," Con glanced at him, "What is your stomach, a bottomless pit?"

Joel shrugged while Libby entered the kitchen, dressed. "Joel- you can't be hungry again, you're stomach must be enormous."

"Not the only thing." Joel winked at Libby before downing half a carton of orange juice.

Con passed through Libby house towards the front door. The house was bright and colorful, there were picture frames along the staircase wall and the shelves in the hall were adorned with books and clutter, but it was homey and comfortable.

-

Hazel met them in the lobby and walked with them up to the locker rooms to change into their scrubs. "Rough sleep?" She asked Con, glancing at her.

"Up all night.." Con groaned.

"Saucy." Hazel smirked.

Con rolled her eyes, "Couldn't sleep, my sleep schedule is totally out of whack ever since put Goodwin put me on call every night this week."

"Unlucky." Hazel chuckled as they left the locker rooms.

"Hey Joel!" A pretty nurse waved at Joel, batting her eyes, "The other night was so much fun.."

"Hey..Anna?" He glanced at her.

"My name's Amelia!" She glowered at him and then stalked away.

Hazel and Con snickered while Libby watched the nurse leave with an irritated expression.

"Shut up." Joel sent a glare at Hazel and Con and brushed past them, amid gales of laughter from the two girls.

"Very classy, Joel!" Hazel yelled after him, "You're a real gent-!"

They turned to see Goodwin striding down the corridor towards them, with Michael following along in her wake. "There you are, you think I have the time to be looking for you all day? Get it together."

They each muttered apologies before she lead them through the corridors, towards the lobby. "There's been a recent staff update, we now have a new head of Plastic surgery and a head of Pediatric surgery."

"Really? Who?" Michael asked curiously.

Goodwin brandished a hand at two people standing in the middle of the lobby, talking to Chief Park.

"Drew Roberts and Bobbie Monroe." Goodwin declared, turning to her five interns, "They're transferring from California Citrus Clinic." 

"Drew Roberts?" Con repeated, frowning, "I think I might've heard that name."