22

"What's the plan today?" She asked in the morning hoping he would tell her.

"Everything is a surprise." He stated.

"Why? I just want to know." She asked in a whiny little kid voice.

"Because I said so." He teased back.

"Let's go. The first thing starts this afternoon. Wear something semiformal." He stated. She was happy she brought something sorta fancy. Sam wore a button up and jeans and she wore a nice simple dress with flats.

They made a quick stop for lunch before Sam led her to their next place. There was an old movie theater in town that showed new movies but not the brand new releases. It was way cheaper than a normal theater. "What are we seeing?" She asked.

"I'll let you pick." She smiled at being able to choose something.

"How about The Martian*. I've heard that's good." She replied.

"Two tickets for The Martian* please." The ticket lady handed them to him and they walked in. They shared a small popcorn and cuddled close in the theater and watched. They both really enjoyed the movie and were glad they were able to watch a movie together. "That was really good."

"It was."

"I'm glad you picked it." He glanced down at his watch. "Ok. We've got a couple hours to kill before dinner. You can pick what we do."

"I don't know. You wanna just go for a walk and see if there's any stores we feel like going into?"

"Sure. We can do whatever." They wandered around the town just enjoying their time together and window shopping. Once two hours passed, he spoke up. "Ok. Let's head to dinner if you're hungry."

"Sure. Where are we going?"

"There's a semi fancy restaurant I picked. I checked their website and they aren't too expensive." He told her. She nodded and they walked hand in hand to the little Italian place a couple blocks away. They ordered their food once they were seated, Sam getting a pasta dish, and Avery getting a chicken dish.

"The food here is so good." Avery commented once it arrived at their table and she took a bite.

"That's what I heard and they were definitely right. This is amazing." Sam was in love with this food as well. "So is there anything you want to talk about? I don't mean about what's been happening, just we haven't talked much." He asked.

"I don't know. Just being here with you makes me remember when we were dating back at college. I always thought that I could never be more in love with you than when we dated, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. My love for you has multiplied exponentially over the years. I love you so much, babe. It doesn't matter if I get mad at you or you get mad at me or what happens. I'm still madly in love with you." She commented. He grabbed her hand across the table.

"I love you too, babe. I feel the same way about all of that. Like you said, it won't matter if I'm mad at you, you're mad at me, or what happens, I will always love you." They finished their food then headed back to their hotel. They changed into PJs then climbed in bed. It wasn't late but they knew they'd end up falling asleep. They turned on the tv and found a random movie. They snuggled close. She loved the feeling of his soft shirt on her loved the feel of being able to snuggle with him and not worry about anything. She was finally happy again. She wondered why she had to have the life she did.

"Sam, why do we have to live the life we do? I'm finally happy again here with you and I don't want to go back to the pain." She spoke up.

"It's just the way it goes. We'll discuss when we head back tomorrow. I promised you we wouldn't talk about anything." He replied. He didn't want to ruin their time together.

"I want to talk. It's not gonna ruin it." She replied. Sam nodded. "I just don't get why we have to deal with all the pain and everything. If I could stay here with you forever, I'd be far happier."

"I understand that, babe, but hunting is what has to be done. I never intended to bring you so far into it. It's Dean and I's fight." He replied.

"Yeah, but even you don't want this. Dean drug you back from college. You wanted the normal life too." She reasoned.

"Yes, I did, but I know this is the way my life is. It's always been that way. My family is a family of hunters. I wish we could stay here like this forever too. I'm sorry but my life just is the way it is and I'm sorry I had to drag you into it." Sam explained.

"Why can't we just stay here? Why do we have to go back? It's been nothing but pain and mess lately. I'm just so tired of everything." She replied.

"We just can't. I'm sorry. Just think about the kids and Dean and everything. If we stay here, we're abandoning them. I know things are hard. Believe me I do. Things are hard for you and I wish they weren't. Listen, I'll text Dean and get him to give us a couple more days ok?" She nodded and tried not to think about it. Around midnight, Sam turned the tv off and they tried to sleep. Sam fell asleep quickly but Avery wasn't so lucky.