Never Let Me Go

Damon and I were staying in the Lockwood mansion, carrying our bags. 

I dumped mine onto the nearby couch in the living room, making a call, only to get Enzo's voicemail. "Hey, Enzo. It's me again. Call me soon, all right?"

Stefan walked in.

Damon smirked. "Just so we're clear, I'm taking the master bedroom. Carol Lockwood and I had a little thing. I think she'd want me to have it."

I stopped, taking a look around the room, wrinkling my nose. "Let's open some windows, too. It reeks of dog in here. Which is impressive, considering Tyler's been with Jeremy for months."

Stefan walked toward us angrily. "You killed him, didn't you?"

"Tyler?" Damon asked. "No. Jeremy? Once. But are we really bringing that up right now?"

"The Heretic, Malcolm," Stefan told us. I looked down. "Lily came by earlier. She found him in the Town Square without his heart."

"I didn't kill any Heretics, no matter how much I wanted to," Damon told us.

I pursed my lips.

Damon and Stefan looked at me.

I looked up. "Why do you two immediately look at me?" Stefan gave me a look. "Don't answer that. Okay, yes, I killed him."

"You know, Lily and I had a deal," Stefan told me.

Damon scoffed. "A bad deal."

"And this isn't about some deal," I told them. "Malcolm was about to kill Bonnie, so I killed him. I saved her life."

Stefan sighed. "She took Caroline and Enzo."

I looked at him, stunned. "What?"

"To retaliate for breaking our 'bad deal', she took Caroline and Enzo," Stefan told us.

I looked away in shocked anger.

    *******   

I went to our old home, the Salvatore Boarding House, standing outside.

Mom--I was not calling her Mom anymore, not after everything that she had done.

I was gonna call her Lily.

Lily opened the door.

I smiled sheepishly. "Hello, Mother."

"May I help you?" Lily asked coldly.

I looked over her shoulder, noticing an unfamiliar woman vacuuming the foyer. "Couple things. A, who the hell is that?"

Lily turned to glance at the woman, looking at me. "Who, Lucy? She's the kind woman I've hired to clean up this house that you and your brothers let fall into despair." She raised her voice to call to Lucy, but never looked away from me. "Oh, Lucy, darling, could you come clean the welcome mat, please? This girl was just leaving."

"B, no I'm not," I told her.

"Excuse me?" Lily asked.

"I think there's been a bit of a mixup," I told her. "See, last night, I was in the Town Square, minding my own business, when I tripped and accidentally ripped Malcolm's heart out."

Lily rolled her eyes. "Deflecting. Of course. You never could admit when you were wrong."

Lily went to close the door.

I stopped her. "Okay, wait. I admit it. I killed him. But he was going to kill my friend. He's the one that broke your little deal first, and so I killed him to save my friend. Caroline and Enzo had nothing to do with it, so if you'll just kindly let them go... I'll even let you take me instead of them. All right?" Lily once again tried to close the door. I was desperate to get Caroline and Enzo back, trying to walk inside. "Wait! Lily, uh..." I was blocked at the threshold. I looked at Lily in confused suspicion. "That's odd. Why can't I walk into my own house?"