Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take

Start from the beginning

Alaric rolled his eyes. "Okay. Great. Well, the party's over."

"I am literally staring at a treasure trove full of our, uh, fancy little weapons," Stefan told him.

"Yeah, exactly," Alaric told him. "Now, go use one."

"It's not that easy," Stefan told us. "I mean, if we want to take them out, we have to do it all at once."

Alaric sighed defeatedly. "All right. Well, I'm gonna have to call you back from a less populated place, and then I'm gonna blissfully pass out and pretend that this never happened." He hung up, handing the phone to me, standing, almost losing his balance, but managed to stay standing, swaying on his feet. "Whoa. Okay."

Alaric walked away, leaving.

Damon looked at me.

I scoffed, shaking my head. "Lily won. As much as we everything to stop her, she actually got her family back."

"If Stefan says he's got it, he's got it," Damon told me.

I tilted my head at him. "Do you really believe that, or is that just some excuse to continue your slow crawl towards rock-bottom?"

Damon sighed. "Do you know how many days need to tick by before we see Elena again? 22,916 days, and that's assuming Bonnie gets some old person's disease." I sighed. Since his drink was empty, Damon grabbed Alaric's abandoned drink, taking a drink. He made a disgusted face. "Ugh, I've had some janky-ass bourbon in my time, but this is..."

Damon slid the glass across the table for me to try.

I took a drink, rolling my eyes. "It's not bourbon. It's tea."

We exchanged a look, realizing that Alaric had been playing us, looking off in the direction that he had walked away in.

    *******   

Damon and I were walking the streets of Amsterdam, looking for Alaric. 

"Ric was right here," I told him. "How did we lose him?" My phone rang. I answered. "Hello?"

Enzo's voice was on the other line. "Hello, gorgeous."

"Hey. How's it going?"

"Your mother's been a very busy little bee."

I sighed in annoyance. "Why? What has she done now?"

"For starters, she wants me to look for some kind of magical stone. And then she tried to turn against you and your brothers."

"And why would she think that it would work?"

"I honestly don't know. I just thought you should know."

"Thank you. Hey, I gotta call you back."

I hung up, sighing, looking around.

Damon turned to face me. "Things not going too well with you and Enzo, are they?"

I looked at him. "Our mother turned my boyfriend, your best friend, into a vampire, Damon. And now she's trying to turn him against us. Of course things are on the haywire right now. All the reason to get home as soon as we can."

I walked past him.

Damon turned after me. "Just admit it, Kaylin." I turned back. "You never really loved him like he loves you. Of course there's a lot of feelings there, but you never really felt that intoxicating feeling of drowning in bliss when you're with him, did you?"