Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take

Flash-Forward 

Brooklyn, New York

I helped an injured, bleeding and limping Stefan into a storage locker, opening the unit we needed.

Two coffins were inside, side-by-side.

One held Elena, who was still under Kai's magical coma spell.

I walked toward the other, opening it to reveal a desiccated but still alive Damon. I pulled out a blood, hurriedly forcing the blood down Dan's throat. "Damon, wake up. We need you. Wake up!" Stefan limped his way toward us. "Damon, wake the hell up!"

Damon un-desiccated, opening his eyes, gasping for breath, sitting up, blood still dripping down his chin.

    *******   

Now

It had only been weeks since Elena had been put into the sleeping beauty coma, since Jo Laughlin and her and Alaric's kids had been killed by Kai Parker. 

Damon, Alaric and I had gone to Amsterdam to clear our thoughts, outside on a patio, chugging steins of beer while our fellow patrons cheered us on in Dutch. "Drinken! Drinken! Drinken!"

We finished our beers, groaning as a result of drinking so much so fast.

    ******* 

Later on, Damon and Alaric were sitting at table.

I was dancing on an outside bar to the beat of the music, jumping down, walking toward Damon and Alaric, taking a seat next to them.  

Alaric seemed to be very drunk, poking at his cheeks. "I can't... feel my cheeks. What are we drinking?"

"No idea," Damon told us, checking the menu, frowning in confusion. "Can you read German?"

"That's, uh, actually Dutch," I told him.

Damon looked around. "Wait, where are we?"

"Amsterdam," I answered, starting to eat a few cherries from the small bowl on the table in front of me, standing. "I'm gonna go rent a bike and see the city like a normal tourist. And see what's changed in the last three decades since I last visited Amsterdam."

I walked away, leaving.

    *******   

Stefan and Matt had called to tell us about two bodies they had found at the high school.

The had their phone on speaker, and we had our phone on speaker.

"What the hell happened?" I asked.

"Listen, these bodies?" Stefan asked. "It's got to be the Heretics."

"Reception went a little fuzzy, brother," I told him. "It sounds like you said Mom got her family of crazies back. Can we have some details?"

"One victim had bite wounds, and the other one was scorched beyond recognition," Matt told us.

"Matt found a house that's been in foreclosure for the last two ears, and it had its power mysteriously turned back on just days after Ric's wedding, so Caroline and Bonnie are there staking it out," Stefan told us. "Alaric? I need you to teach me how to make a bomb."