Chapter 36 - And the cracks begin to show

Picture of Lauren and Ethan

Lauren's POV

It was exactly one week away from the Easter Holidays. Term 1 was almost done which meant only one term left until I finally finished Uni. Over the past month it was constant going to Uni, going to Work, going to Family Functions, going to 21st Parties, finishing Uni Assessments and filling in all my other spare time with Ethan.

Lately he'd been a little distant towards me. We'd been together for 8 months now and I had a weird feeling in the pit of my tummy that things were changing between us. We were no longer in that honeymoon stage.

Last night I tried to approach Ethan he explained that work was getting him down. Apparently he was starting to lose big contracts to other organisations outside of Australia because they could easily undercut his prices. Our labour costs were so high which meant overall prices were high compared to other nations such as China and India. The stress of work was taking a toll on our relationship. Most nights he'd come home late smelling of alcohol and cigarettes. A few times when I'd call him, I'd hear poker machine noises in the background. I asked him if he was gambling and he said no. But I just didn't believe him.

Tonight was Friday. T, Mel, Heath, Mark and Max were all upstairs in the penthouse at Elliot's. His place was amazing he really had a flair for colour, design and fabrics. If his apartment was anything to go by I think this parade was going to be amazing. We were finally having our catch up with some of the ideas he was having about who'd wear what and how to walk as the parade would be in less than 3 months time. He'd already taken our measurements and asked each of us if we were comfortable in swimsuits or lingerie so he knew how to complete the line up.

Today he received the categories:
1. Your style - define who you are
2. Swimsuit
3. Sportswear
4. High fashion
5. Evening
6. The show stopper

He needed to create a minimum of 2 pieces in each category for a male and female. He teamed us all up with partners so we each felt familiar. T was partnered with Mark, Heath with Mel and that left Max with me.

"So everyone, tonight I just wanted to put my plan out there. I want everyone to be involved in the first category. But Lauren, Mel and Mark you're doing the swimsuit category which is straight after so you'll need to have your swimmers on underneath. The timing between the categories will be quick. Tonight, I have some sketches so I wanted to reveal my style and thoughts. Remember this is top secret".

Elliott pulled out the sketches for the 6 categories. He handed to us what we were going to wear for some of the categories. We were all in aw.

"They're amazing Elle". T couldn't take her eyes off the evening dress he created especially for her.

"Yeah, this one's really me but you at the same time. I had you in mind when I sketched it so it was easy to find the things that both defined us".

I looked at the very last dress he gave me the showstopper which was a wedding gown. OMG I was amazed. Elle came towards me as he watched my face as I stared at the sketch.

"Lauren, if I win this you get to keep it for your wedding day ok?"

I just nodded, that's all I could do.

My thoughts were quickly interrupted by a knock on the door.

"It's open". Elle yelled out.

As the door opened I saw Ethan walk inside. He was looking really upset and walked straight to me. The first thing I smelt was the alcohol. He grabbed my arm and whispered into my ear that we needed to talk.

"Elle, just need to give Ethan a hand be right back".

"No probs the food will be here any minute we will save you some so take your time". He smiled as I nodded walking out the door.