Chapter 16 - Why?

Picture of Jackson

Lauren's POV

After meeting Ethan's mum I kind of felt a little sorry for him. It was obvious she's never been much of a loving Mum and both Nat and Ethan had issues in their relationships because of their upbringing.

Nat was a notorious player she could be with so many different guys a in week. Some married, some 20 years her senior and some friends with benefits. How she could even bother to juggle them around especially given the long hours she was working. Quite often you'd hear her come into the apartment with a guy, they'd just head straight to her bedroom. It was all sex to her, nothing more.

Things were going ok between Ethan and I but having Nat around at times felt like I had to be on my guard. It was Friday afternoon and I spent the day with Jackson at the hospital. Ethan had some work lunch on so we weren't texting. I thought I'd head down to the apartment after I finished up at the hospital. Around 6pm Jackson drifted off to sleep so I decided to head off. I gave Jackson a kiss on the cheek. As I left the building I saw Jackson's parents. We embraced and I filled them in on our day. His spirits were at an all time low and I was worried about the fight he was putting up. We said our goodbyes and I headed towards my car.

10 minutes later I arrived at Ethan's apartment finding parking closeby. I was knackered and felt sad, I just wanted to hang at his place with him. I made my way up to the apartment and was greeted by an attractive young lady exiting, she was wearing a tight little black dress and red killer heels.

"Hey," I nervously smiled.

She nodded as she took off towards the lifts.

Feeling a bit anxious I opened the door and headed in. There was about 6 people inside. Michael was there as well as one other woman. Ethan was outside talking to a few others he was smoking joint. I was a bit surprised as he inhaled once more and turned to face me. I don't think I was expected. He gave the joint to another guy who inhaled it and he walked towards me.

He was looking incredibly sexy tonight, he was wearing fitted black slacks, a pink shirt he just looked like a sex god.

He made his way over to me and just stared into my eyes. His eyes were quite blood shot and he was slightly swaying. He was drunk and really didn't seem particularly impressed that I was now here. 

"I wasn't expecting you tonight". He slurred.

"I wasn't aware you were having a party".

"This is a continuation of lunch. It's a bit of a boozy boys night only, no women alllowed". He was cold and detached. I'd never come across this Ethan before, I really didn't like him.

"That's weird cause there are other women here Ethan". I was challenging him.

"Hmmm. Ok, stay, but I preferred you didn't".

Ouch, that hurt. Right through my heart. Did he realise how much he just hurt me?

"Ethan, I've had a shit day with Jackson, I didn't want to go home and T is working late so I wanted to see you. Obviously you're not wanting to see me so lets leave it at that".

"Stay". Was all Ethan said. "Come I'll introduce you to my friends". He stumbled across the living room as we walked out onto the balcony and met 4 others. They all seemed nice enough then Michael walked onto the balcony with his play toy for the night. 

"You staying?" He gruffly asked me.

"Not sure, I'm not really dressed to go anywhere so I'll see how it goes".  I replied.