Chapter 13 - The Sister

Picture of Natalia Ethan's sister

Lauren's POV

The evening after my 21st I went back to Ethans place and we spent the entire night together. I'd been upfront with my parents and so far they were okay about things.  I just couldn't move in with him or stay too often.

After several weeks, Ethan and I got into our own routine. Weekends I mostly stayed at his place, unless we had 'important' functions on, then I'd catch up with him after they'd finish  and midweek I was at home. Every Wednesday night Ethan came over for dinner at my parents place.

From their perspective it showed that we was committed to having a relationship and being part of our family. Dad and Ethan got along ok, but I kinda suspected neither was exceptionally fond of the other. Always undertones of sarcasm in most of their conversations. So I was always a little uneasy whenever they were together. I think my Mum felt it too, it was almost like two werewolves fighting off her the title of being the Alpha.

Uni was same old, except during my breaks instead of being reckless & wasting time playing pool, I'd head over to the hospital to hang out with Jackson. He wasn't getting any better. Quite often I'd be there for an hour or so and he'd fall asleep mid sentence. He was weak, his once gorgeous lustre raven hair was now gone and in it's place was patchy, wire hair. His once taught cheekboned face was now bloated from the treatment he'd been receiving. On Fridays, I'd normally use it as a research day for exams or assessments but of late I'd spend the entire day at the hospital.

One time he was looking so good I convinced him to get out for a few hours. He was happy for it, though reluctant because he was unsure if he'd last long enough to keep me content. The thing about Jackson was that it didn't matter what he was going through, he just wanted to make sure you were ok and that he wasn't letting you down. He was selfless in so many ways.

"Jackson, this is you choice, it can be anything or anywhere in Sydney, where do you want to go?" I was so excited to be taking him out for the day. We were still inside his hospital room preparing for our departure. Our Uni was situated closeby to the biggest art supply shop in Australia. So every few weeks I'd get new things for us to do and we'd talk and draw or paint together. It was nice.

"I want to go to the art gallery". He was beaming. I was a little shocked out of every place or anything we could do that's where he wanted to go. It was touching because it meant he appreciated those small gifts of art supplies I'd bring in.

"Ok, lets get organised".

I drove us to the gallery and we parked just outside the front. It was such an amazing building the architecture was modern with sleek lines, the use of natural elements like wood and stone made it edgy. As we walked in Jackson got out his wallet, I insisted it was my treat this time, but his turn the next. To be honest given how unwell and weak he'd been, I was so grateful to be given this opportunity with him again.

I got a text message so I pulled out my phone:

My sisters friends are here from Ballina. They want to hit the clubs so they're staying with us this weekend x - Ethan

I quickly text back:

Ok 😘 - L

I smiled at the fact he said 'us' denoting it was no longer just his apartment. Jackson asked if it was Ethan, I chuckled and asked how did he know.

"Your face lit up and you had this look in your eyes and your mouth when you saw who it was from. I've never seen you like this with any other guy. You really like him don't you?"