Chapter 8 - What the?

Lauren's POV

I noticed a few familiar faces in the group that just entered the pub. They actually came straight towards Ethan and I.

"Your friends from Saturday night?" I asked eyeing off the group. There were a few new faces in the mix as well. I noticed the dancing air stewards eyes completely transfixed on Ethan.

"Told you he'd be here Shell," Michael, Ethan's pilot friend yelled towards the woman. "Hey Bud, I've been trying to call you why aren't you answering?" He asked. Ethan pursed his lips and threw his head towards Michael's ear then both men gazed in my direction. I was feeling a little more than uncomfortable right now.

"Michael, this is Lauren, Lauren this is Michael". Ethan was looking completely tense. I noticed that Shelly was looking me up and down. I had a weird feeling about this situation.

Needing a bit of space, I whispered to Ethan, "I'll be back, do you want another drink?". He looked into my eyes and gave me a small smile as if to apologise for the intrusion.

"My shout Lauren, so please hurry back," giving me a quick wink I left for the rest room. Unbeknown to me, Shelly was hot on my heels.

She grabbed my arm as we entered into the rest room and I automatically spun around. "Aren't you the girl from Saturday night?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm Lauren". I extended my hand towards her. She unwillingly grabbed it but did not shake it, she just held onto me.

"Are you now with Ethan?" She demanded. I was a little thrown by her aggressiveness, she was not holding back and wanted answers now.

Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door and Ethan opened it, he looked at the hand that was wrapped around my wrist as if sensing the drama unfolding he said "Lauren, change of plans, we're outta here Babe. Let's go!" I removed myself from Shelly's grip and proceeded towards Ethan's hand. I grabbed on tight, he knew that a confrontation had just occurred and he was saving me from some sort of a situation. I was grateful he came.

We made our way through the crowded pub. Maurice yelled out to Ethan and he waved him goodbye as we left. He made a quick exit to the door avoiding Michael and his mates altogether. As we made our way back to the car he opened up the passenger door and I got in.

There was so many things running through my mind right now. As we entered into the car he looked over at me and tightly smiled, it was a fake smile, it did nothing to relax my mood. I had to say something, I wasn't like other females who just let things stew. I needed answers and I wasn't going to stop until I knew the deal.

"Ethan, do you mind telling me what the hell that was about?" My eyes were questioning his face.
Ethan remained quiet for about 30 seconds. Ok, so he was playing games was he? Shutting me out? Trying to ignore the obvious? Hoping I'd just eventually forget about it and give up?

"Ethan, can you please drop me back to my car at Uni?" Without saying a word he looked over in my direction and ignored my request. "You do realise Uni is in the other direction?" We continued on this road for another 5 mins.

"Ok Ethan, I'm officially freaked out. Just drop me off at the next set of red traffic lights".
Still nothing was said but I heard the noise of the key lock. "Did you just lock me in?"

Nothing, just silence. We pulled up at this little Japanese restaurant in Crows Nest. He looked over to me and said. "Let me buy you dinner first, please hear me out, if you still want to go home after this, fine I'll take you to your car. But at least let me explain". I just nodded as we exited the car.

He tried to grab my hand but I was too annoyed so I grabbed my mobile and pretended to check it. We went to the front counter where there were pictures of all the food. "Lauren do you like Chicken Katsudon?" I nodded my head yes as he guided me towards a vacant table looking out into the street whilst he ordered and paid.