A Winter Romance Pt.4

I want to tell you a story kids, of the time your father and I moved in together. It was the winter of 2013 and I was short on cash.

Your father and I had just returned from our honeymoon in Japan, and we were ready to settle into our new home. When I heard they were selling the wooden cabin where we had met, I knew we had to buy it. That place held so many memories for us. We shared our first kiss there, we got engaged there. Hell, we got married there! I knew it had to be our first home.

Once we got off our plane, we drove straight to our cabin. The fairy lights were still hung up from the wedding, and they looked beautiful shining in the dark sky. It was almost midnight as we tugged our suitcases into the cabin, leaving them in the hallway as we trudged into the oh so familiar bedroom.

The next morning we began moving our things in. We personalised the place, made it ours. Soon our pictures were hung on the wall, our furniture was placed in each room, our stuff was everywhere. It felt like home.

As you kids know, packing with your father is hilarious, so moving into a whole new home was something I'll never forget. We laughed and joked and reminisced over old memories. He told me stories, and I laughed, even if I had told me them a million times before. I loved your father's stories.

That night, as we fell asleep, I remembered that first summer when we met. I never knew that applying for that competition would change my life, but I'm so glad it did.