Did I Miss Something?

"Everyone's staring at me!" Dan mumbled, starting to walk down the school corridor just that little bit faster. He had officially come out as a boy that morning and now he was the talk of the school.

"Let them stare! You're cute as hell, who wouldn't want to stare?" Abby told him, glaring at the idiots who were making her best friend uncomfortable. 

"Thanks Abby," Dan smiled a little at her comment. 

"Do you want to come over to mine when school's over? I have a bunch of clothes you can try on and we could cut your hair!" Phil asked, looking over at his two friends. The three of them had grown up together. They lived next door to each other and since their parents were all really close, they had become close as well. 

"Yeah, the sounds good," Dan said, nodding his head a little. The bell went for their next class so they darted into the history classroom, luckily sitting down right before their teacher walked in.

"Alright class, turn to page 14, please!"

---

Once Mr. Edwards had finally finished dishing out homework, they were free to leave. Abby rushed out of the classroom as quick as she could and was soon followed by the boys.

"Who's picking us up?" Dan asked as the three friends headed out of the school, trying to avoid being knocked over by the rowdy Year 11's. They were in Year 10, but the Year 11's scared the hell out of them anyway. 

"It's my mum tonight I think, or maybe your Dad? I guess we'll see!" Phil replied, the three of them laughing at that. Their parent's were terrible at arranging pick ups - they'd had to walk home more than once because they'd just totally forgotten! They finally emerged from the crowd and quickly spotted the familiar dark red car.

"Well, turn's out it's neither!" Abby joked, shaking her head when she saw her Dad's car. The three teenagers hurried over to the car and got in, Abby taking the front seat and the two boys in the back.

"Hi, Dad!" Abby said happily, reaching over to hug him.

"Hey kids, how was school?" He asked, hugging his daughter before turning on the car again and driving down the road.

"I came out," Dan told him nervously.

"Really? That's great Dan! How did everyone take it?"

"I mean, nobody said anything mean, they're just staring a lot."

"I guess that was to be expected, though."

"Yeah, hopefully they'll stop soon, though, I don't like all the attention," Dan admitted, smiling as they turned down the familiar street.

"Oh, Dad, can I go over to Phils?" Abby asked, suddenly remembering what she had meant to ask her Dad when they first got in the car.

"Sure, you staying for tea?" He asked, turning his head to look at her.

"Yeah, probably," She answered, turning to look at Phil for confirmation.

"That should be fine, we can always check with mum when we get home," He said, nodding his head.

"Alright, I'll tell your mum. I suppose you're going as well, Dan?"

"Yeah, I just need to text my mum," He told the older man, pulling his phone out to text his mum.

They pulled up outside of their houses and they all got out of the car, the three teenagers rushing over to Phil's house while Abby's Dad headed into his own home.

"Mum!" Phil called, shutting the door behind him. A middle-aged lady with brown hair walked out of the kitchen, smiling at them.

"Hello dear, how was school?"