I Want You

What Do You Mean? A Cliche Love Story; Chapter 10

I was hushed by my brother as Zacora told him the same exact story for the third time today.

"And then when he went to swing, the ball curved right into the catchers glove." She says, her voice enriched with love. Zacora was in love with sports and unfortunately so was my college brother, Quincy. They would always chat about current news on the t.v and i, never taking a liking to it felt left out.

I huff quietly. "Are you done?" I ask tiredly.

Zacora eyes me before nodding.
"Rae, I meant to tell you that were having a play. And I'm staring as Kathryn Maple. The main character."

I blink, and immediately my face turns into something of interest.

"No way! When is the premier?" I ask, extremely happy that my little sister actually tried doing something else she was good at. Plus something I actually cared about.

"Saturday. I made sure it was in the morning so mom could see it." She utters. I stiffen and my gaze drifts to Quincy. We already knew our mother wouldn't make it. Because she was always working she never had time for us. And with our dad being away on a business trip, the odds weren't looking great.

Zacora was oblivious to our doubts. Her misty eyes held so much hope, that there was no one way I was going to ruin it. "That's great, Corry. I'll be there no matter what."

"I know, and so will mom." She argues. As if on point, our mother waltz into the kitchen. A robe was held tightly against her thin figure.

"Morning Mom." Zacora said, I'm guessing she didn't understand my mother's communication. Her walking in here without saying hello first was her problem. My mother was observent, yet sometimes rude. If she didn't see you going out your way to help her, or in this case say hello. She'd duplicate those agitating feelings or that adittude that she thought you were using in a manner she didn't like.

"Morning." Her voice was deep, from just waking up. And her body shook a little as if she was in shell shock. I'm guessing she hadn't taken medication yet.

"So i was wondering if you wanted to come to see my play." My mom continues pouring her cream into her coffee.

"You know I'm busy on Saturday's."
She replies.

"I know, but it's in the morning that way you'll have enough sleep. Mom you have to go."

She whirls towards Zacora, who realizes her mistake too late. A slap echoes through the house. A red handprint is what remains.

"I don't have to do anything, you little monkey. I'm putting food on the table, aren't i? That's all I have to do!"

Zacora's eyes brim with tears.
"Yes ma'am."

My mother nods her head, "And don't you forget that."

Zacora is a shivering mess by the time, my mother exits out of the kitchen. Zacora's tears sprout out of her eye sockets. A gush of water envelops the room.

I look at the door, that my mother had previously left out of. Quincy glances at me. "I got her."

I nod before making my to my mother's dark room. I open the door without knocking.

My mother was ensconce in her purple sheets. I look at her dark silhouette. "What?" She asks.

"What was the point of all that? Hitting Corry like that? All she wanted was you to support her."

"I do support her. I feed her don't I?"
She argues.

"Mom I'm not saying that you don't. I'm saying that being a mother requires more then just your money. It requires your presence too."