"And whatchu' know about being a mother?" She ask, nonchalantly.

"Did you forget that I was the one raising her when you were at work? Or that I was feeding your children when you weren't home?" I ask. Sometimes my mother would take forever to come back home and most of those times Zacora and i would be starving. Quincy was still in college, so he wasn't exactly around. So I had to teach myself how to cook at nine years old.

She's quiet before speaking.
"Your just a child."

"Mama, I haven't been a child since, Zacora was born. I've barely had a childhood."

"I'm not going, that's final." She states calmly, while changing the subject.

"Right." I sigh. I thought I could get her to change but now I realize she'll always be that way. Selfish and self centered.

"Don't expect us back anytime soon." I say flatly. If she wanted to play games I could too.

She scoffs not believing what she was hearing. "Yeah whatever. Lock the door on your way out."
____

"Thanks again, Gran." I reply as she hands me a cup of hot chocolate. The cup was as warm as the warmly lit house. It was nice to be with my grandmother again. After the accident we weren't allowed to see her as much. And so I missed her.

"Yeah no problem, sugar." Her milky voice warms my heart.

"We shouldn't be here for too long." I state reassuringly. I hadn't planed on staying for long. I needed to get away from my mother, but Zacora needed her. She was the only one she thought she could count on. Even though she had me, I was never enough.

"Oh, honey stay as long as you need to." She replies. I smile, I was enjoying the few days we've stayed here. Homecoming was three days away and I was excited. My grandmother and i had discussed for hours, the dress, the date and the dance. I had told her about Noah and she was happy for me. She was the only one who was.

"This boy reminds me of your grandfather." My ears perk up at the 'g' word.

"What about him?" I ask, slowly. It wasn't often that my grandmother would talk about my grandfather. And when she did, if you pushed her too hard she would shut you out.

"Oh, it was back in the 80's when the first dance of the summer was popular. Back in Georgia we used to have this dance on the first of June. Everyone who was anyone showed up." She smiles remembering.

"I had gone down to town, with a couple of friends. It was beautiful. The food was amazing. And the view, oh it showed the whole town in its wake. That night we had a blast and i met, Randy Francis, your grandfather." She shakes her head.

"He was amazing and exactly four years my senior. We danced for hours on end, and he made me feel like no one else ever has." She finishes, her face held an undeniable glow.

"Wow, did you know he was the one after that?" I ask, curious.

"I didn't. I never saw him again til a year later but by then I was dating Steven Ross. But whenever he was around he made me feel, good inside. It's a feeling you can't really describe." She tells me.

"I thought that Steven was the one until Randy and i shared our first kiss. Then I knew, no matter how Steven made me feel that Randy was truly the one for me." She states her tone was loving.

I smile love was something else. Yet something beautiful and strange.
"Alright well I'm going to get some rest, Gran. Don't stay up too late."

She smiles, "Goodnight Sweetie."
__

"Raevyn! Someone's here for you." Zacora yells up the stairs. I jump out the bed startled by the racked she was making. I grab my robe and wrap myself in it, before making my way downstairs.