20. Vanessa Has Been Hanging Out With A Shirtless Guy

Chapter 20: Vanessa Has Been Hanging Out with a Shirtless Guy

I wake up on Hunter's couch and all the events from last night come rushing back.

I was just a bet. He didn't like me. Hunter was right. Jake broke my heart.

I get up and walk to his kitchen to see if there are any snacks.

"Hey." I turn around and see Hunter sitting on a stool next to the counter. "You ok?"

"No." I answer honestly. "He broke my heart. The guy that I have been crushing on for 5 years broke my heart." I realize I'm crying and I wipe the tears down my cheek.

"Hey..." He gets up and crushes me into a big hug. "It's ok. I know he hurt you. And I'm sorry, but I'm here for you. Carly and Violet are here too. You have so many people who support you. We will help you through this. Especially Carly."

"Oh! Carly! Carly has no idea!" I gasp. I need to tell her. "Pass me my phone."

He tosses me my phone and I turn on my screen.

Missed Calls (6) Jake
Text Message (10) Jake
Text Message (2) Mom

I dismiss the missed calls and texts from Jake and I call Carly.

"Hey! What's up!" Carly asks with enthusiasm.

"Come over to Hunter's house."

"Did you say Hunter's house? HAVE YOU REACHED A NEW LOW?!?!?!" She screams through the phone.

"Yes. I have. Come as soon as possible." I hang up and put down my phone.

"What did she say?" Hunter asks me.

"She's on her way over."

I grab some milk and cereal.

"Bowls?" I ask him.

"Top left cabinet."

I gotta admit. There is a lot of awkward tension in the air.

Finally, after 2 hours, Carly gets here and she rings the doorbell. Hunter opens it and she pushes past him to get to me. Her arms are crossed.

"Explain." She demands.

"Jake and James made a bet. James couldn't see Lola for a while, and Jake had to pretend to be my boyfriend for 2 months. There were only a few weeks left of their bet."

She scoffs. "Wow. That is the stupidest thing I have EVER heard in my life."

"Ya. So how's it going with Adam?" I ask trying to change the topic.

"Uh, no. We are not done with you. Why are you here? Why didn't you call me?" She says with a worried look on her face.

"I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking!"

"Still!"

"I said I'm sorry."

"I am worried about you!" she whispers, "You know that he can't trust Hunter."

"I have to. Maybe he has changed?"

"You say that about everyone. Vanessa, you have got to open your eyes!"

"I know. But for now, can I just stay here and trust him?"

"Fine. Call me if you need anything." She mumbles something along the lines of, "I'm going to kill him."

She gives me a hug and leaves.

"You're staying here?" Hunter asks as Caly leaves.

"Ya. I don't want to go home and face my mom. I texted her, just didn't want to talk to her. I didn't want to ruin Carly's day, and I obviously don't want to see Jake or James."